Scotch Brite Grey

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerranOak

Established Member
Reaction score
I often see Americans using Scotch Brite pan scourers as a "sanding option".
I tried this but the ones I used were green and some colour transferred to the wood!
I then noticed that one of the Americans was talking about grey Scotch Brite which, I guess, would not be such a problem?
I can't find any that are not green or blue or some such.
Does anyone have any thoughts please?
Cheers.

There is a UK division of 3M. The information on each of their products has a Where To Buy button. You can buy or order from the ones nearest or offering the best prices.

I never use Scotch-Brite to sand bare wood. It follows the surface and removes more of the softer material in the growth rings resulting in some unevenness. A sanding block bridges those parts of the surface and cuts the hard and soft equally. I use Scotch-Brite where I would use steel wool on a finish especially with water based finishes. Avoids rust from the steel wool.

Pete

You can get White, Green, Grey and Maroon pads, that I know of....

I use the 150mm round ones on my Sanders for knocking back between coats of finish and when I'm working on Solid Surface material.

the colours denote abrasive grade......
pretty sure grey is just a little rougher than white, which is very fine........
green being the roughest but it's still not rough...although u woudn't want to use it on a varnished surface.....
inspector is quite right use where u would use graded wire wool.....

the bigger sheets say 8"x6" are the commercial size and have a more consistant grade of abrasive.....
these tend to be used in the car refinishers etc.....
ideal when just deNibbing old paint/varnish for the next finish....

I tried to clean off an insect on my windscreen with a green scouring ' scotchpad '. Turns out it was a chip now I have a chip and scratch marks on the windscreen.:cry: Just sayin' .!

I bought a box of each of the 360g (red) and the 1500g (grey) Mirka Mirlon finishing pads from Axminster several years ago. As others have suggested, they're probably not best suited to straight sanding which I have never tried. But they are great for de-nibbing and applying finishes. I mostly use them to put on a wax finish as a final coat - much nicer to use than wire wool.

3M industrial scotchbrite pads: green is very fine, reddish maroon is fine grit and the goto grade for removing fine red rust from metal, grey which can look almost mustard in colour is distinctly coarser and good for heavy rust removal on metal. White is non abrasive.
Mirka have equivalent products and your local engineers merchant will have 3rd party copies that are quite a lot cheaper but not quite as good.
The coarser the grit, usually the more expensive it is. And the price is better bought in 10s of the same grade.

Car paint shops should have it. I know Morrells sell it as well. I generally only get the maroon for everything.

Ollie

I use the grey pads to apply hardwax oil and wax, similar theory to using wire wool but no chance of it reacting with tannins. Like the above it's also great for denibbing between coats.

Matt

I tried to clean off an insect on my windscreen with a green scouring ' scotchpad '. Turns out it was a chip now I have a chip and scratch marks on the windscreen.:cry: Just sayin' .!
Many, Many years ago I had new UPVC windows, the installer used a green pad to remove the labels on the glass. I expect he was "told off" because the firm had to replace every pane!

I use them a lot, Green = coarse, Maroon = Medium, Grey =fine, great for cleaning & restoring tools etc, great for final sanding on boats etc as doesnt sand through corners. You can also get scotchbrite mops mounted for use in drills for polishing.

I use them a lot, Green = coarse, Maroon = Medium, Grey =fine, great for cleaning & restoring tools etc, great for final sanding on boats etc as doesnt sand through corners. You can also get scotchbrite mops mounted for use in drills for polishing.
Keith, that's good to know. I purchased a pack from the mighty Lidl recently which were different colours. It's Velcro backed pads for use with an angle grinder or drill. Will try out between finish's as others have mentioned. Does speed make a difference? As like sanding, not too fast? Cheers Shan

I want to de-nib the internal doors following the builders last coat of varnish. From reading the above I take it I need to buy the grey Scotchbrite. Am I correct? Ideally I do not want to follow up with a light wax but appreciate I may need to.

Colin

It seems Lidl doesn't adhere to the colour system of grades. Hard to tell the differences.
20230218_101502.jpg

You can get White, Green, Grey and Maroon pads, that I know of....

I use the 150mm round ones on my Sanders for knocking back between coats of finish and when I'm working on Solid Surface material.
I use in my knife stuff quite a bit for brushed finishing.
use it for denibbing as well between coats if an issue
I've the range on hand. also useful for restoring OEM brushed finishes on any steel (or softer) metals e
eg watch buckles

I want to de-nib the internal doors following the builders last coat of varnish. From reading the above I take it I need to buy the grey Scotchbrite. Am I correct? Ideally I do not want to follow up with a light wax but appreciate I may need to.

Colin
I believe white may be the finest or not abrasive at all, yellow is 1200, grey 600.

Latest posts

Back