Scheppach HS105

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
transatlantic":2o1qa38c said:
I think you're jumping the gun a bit here. I and many members have this saw without it blowing fuses. You should not need to change the plug to another higher rated than what it came with, ... if its pulling too much current that would suggest something else is wrong.

Your problem with the 1500w motor was probably because that motor has a very high startup current draw, and then drops down. Does it specify its startup current?

The only reason I mentioned it is that it's quite often people take plugs off 16a gear and put a 13a on because it will run OK on their supply, Scheppach PTs are a good example as they all came with a 16a plug but you always see them online with a 13a on.

You’re probably right about that 1.5Kw motor I was on about, I don’t remember what the startup current is off the top of my head but it may be greater than the 2.2Kw one.

Trevanion":2qp362no said:
transatlantic":2qp362no said:
I think you're jumping the gun a bit here. I and many members have this saw without it blowing fuses. You should not need to change the plug to another higher rated than what it came with, ... if its pulling too much current that would suggest something else is wrong.

Your problem with the 1500w motor was probably because that motor has a very high startup current draw, and then drops down. Does it specify its startup current?

The only reason I mentioned it is that it's quite often people take plugs off 16a gear and put a 13a on because it will run OK on their supply, Scheppach PTs are a good example as they all came with a 16a plug but you always see them online with a 13a on.

You’re probably right about that 1.5Kw motor I was on about, I don’t remember what the startup current is off the top of my head but it may be greater than the 2.2Kw one.

Ah - fair point about people changing to a normal 13A plug from a 16A one, but in this case, this saw is sold with a normal 13A plug

Well Mr Trevanion I changed the fuse checked the leads and it didn't work but I did hear a buzz noise faint so I knew it was getting power. I then went to the switch opened the case made sure everything looked ok it did except the whole underside was covered at least 3mm thick of dust all the electrics included so I got cleaning and guess what happened next? Yep it worked lol I owe you a beer mate at last I got a good deal. :) I celebrated by planing 48 sides of rough sawn timber for my bench top.
Cracking day
Fatman
Glenn

Good to hear it :D

To be honest, I didn't even think about dust ingress but it can play havoc with electrics. It's always best to work from the output of the power to the motor and tick off every possible fault, that way you know it can't be X or Y so it must be Z.

Not sure how dust could affect electrics.

Are you saying you vacuumed out some dust from the switch and it magically started working? That seems unlikely.

I wonder if there was a lose connection that you unintentionally nudged into place.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Mate I swear on my life that's exactly what happened after I checked each wire previously it may of been a loose connection

transatlantic":3ud2us8a said:
Not sure how dust could affect electrics.

Are you saying you vacuumed out some dust from the switch and it magically started working? That seems unlikely.

20+ years back our family business had a Cooksley Universal machine (great machine by the way) which was used a great deal and every couple of months we had to either vacuum or blow out the dust from the circular saw starter switch when the switch stopped working - that solved the problem, so we assumed that the dust was getting between the contacts in the switch. We couldn't work out how fine dust was getting in there even after changing the grommets where the cables came into the starter box and changing the seal around the box lid. In the end we gave up trying to stop the dust and stuck to opening up the box every Friday afternoon and cleaning out the accumulated dust.

Trevanion":2q8x894r said:
Actually, now that you mention fuse that might actually be the problem. You say the motor is 2000w/2Kw which is just about the maximum that can be run on a 13 amp supply in ideal conditions without blowing the fuse, if that is indeed the case you'll need to put it on a 16amp blue plug and socket to allow it to pull more amps on startup.

I've had to run a 1.5KW motor on a 16amp plug simply because it kept blowing fuses, but then I also have a machine that runs at 2.2KW on a 13 amp plug just fine! :?
I have not used the saw once from when I bought it until I tried Monday as I had some ash to rip for some clamps I wanted to make anyway I plug it in to test to make sure it still worked and it powered up great I thought so I raised the blade went to start and got nish kebab, nothing not a squeak. To cut a long story short one of the carbon brushes was about 1/4" long and its worked fine since except the riving knife was bent the insert plate was concaved and I only noticed these issues when I made my first table saw cut ever and it seemed like I was fighting to get the last bit cut and through when all of a sudden the wood nearest the fence shot at me like a bullet from a gun and the other piece was black. I am now taking in as much info as I can before I use it again as I don't want to loose any limbs. I absolutely s**t myself

FatmanG":gesfgovv said:
I have not used the saw once from when I bought it until I tried Monday as I had some ash to rip for some clamps I wanted to make anyway I plug it in to test to make sure it still worked and it powered up great I thought so I raised the blade went to start and got nish kebab, nothing not a squeak. To cut a long story short one of the carbon brushes was about 1/4" long and its worked fine since except the riving knife was bent the insert plate was concaved and I only noticed these issues when I made my first table saw cut ever and it seemed like I was fighting to get the last bit cut and through when all of a sudden the wood nearest the fence shot at me like a bullet from a gun and the other piece was black. I am now taking in as much info as I can before I use it again as I don't want to loose any limbs. I absolutely s**t myself

That sounds like the table saw fence wasn't quite parallel to the blade and was causing the wood to pinch on the backside of the blade while cutting. It's not a machine to be treated lightly, it needs great respect and care otherwise you'll get caught out. You could do ALOT worse than pick up our very own Steve Maskery's Workshop Essentials DVD set (I think he does download too on request) on the table saw, I've not seen them but the people who have bought them recommend them highly and judging by Steve's posts here it won't be any of that American no riving knife or guard nonsense, it will be concisely about how to use your table saw in the best and safest manner.

Gosforth Handyman also has an excellent video on the subject, not to detract from Steve's excellent DVDs mind.

[youtube]eUx8oTIALmg[/youtube]

I'm surprised a bit that it was a brushed motor but I guess with the compact size of the machine it wouldn't really be anything else. Had I known that I wouldn't have suggested that it may be a supply issue since they're easy to run off a 13A plug with no issues.

Thanks for the advice and the video that's very similar to what happened to me as gosforth handyman. I'm getting the riving knife out today as its bent. I've got a PDF parts diagram the same as the one shown in this thread for a replacement if I can't straighten it. I'm seriously considering getting Steve's DVD if I can't find any good free content. My first job is a new Freud blade and make a crosscut sled and push sticks.
Glenn

Hi. i'm new on here. i have just bought used Scheppach HS105 when i start it up, it gets noisier every now and then. thought it might be the bearings but t all seems solid enough. Has anyone got any ideas what it could be.if it is the motor bearings , where can i get some please.

Latest posts

Back