Scarlet Oak Bookcase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t.f.bleaken

Reaction score
Hi as i posted in a recent thread im new here, so i thought i would post up one of my recent pieces.

Its a solid scarlet oak bookcase made from locally sourced timber (westonbirt arboretum). the bookcase is for a family member and is yet to be finished. It has taken me roughly two weeks of nights (around 20 hours) to get the bookcase to the assembled stage. The finish on the bookcase is french polish that has yet to be finished, im taking my time as it is my first go at french polishing.
unfortunately i only have pictures of the assembly stage as i wasnt planning on posting it up on here.

Cheers Tom

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 2,216
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 2,216
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 2,216
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,216
  • p.jpg
    p.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 2,216
That does look a bit special!

I've also bought wood from Westonbirt and found it good value - plus you can get some unusual species. I'd not heard of scarlet oak before - is it any different to work, compared to common oak?

no its identical to work, the only really difference is that the timber has a slightly pink colour to it, i think the wood sale is on the weekend coming so il be up there having a mooch around.

Im afraid the joints are not anything particually skillfull, the top and shelves are held with biscuits and kreg screw joints with oak plugs. If this was a commision i would have used blind sliding dovetails but i didnt have the time.

Nice work Tom, I've been promising to make myself an oak book case for some time now - your's provides me the inspiration to get on with it. Good effort!
Cheers
John

Latest posts

Back