Sawstop ... would you trust this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

To echo a previous request by another poster - when posting links, would posters consider adding a brief synopsis, this would be helpful in determining whether others would wish to view them.

Regards Mick

I've seen the sawstop videos before, I understand the process and technology - but it still gives me sweaty palms.

KevM":2ol26pyh said:
I've seen the sawstop videos before, I understand the process and technology - but it still gives me sweaty palms.
Agreed. There is no way on this earth I would demonstrate how effective it is.

Also agree about the request for an idea what the video is about.

Spindle":2i188k0m said:
Hi

To echo a previous request by another poster - when posting links a brief synopsis would be helpful in determining whether others would wish to view them.

Regards Mick

Will bear that in mind for the future, today I was at my work PC ;-)

:lol:

KevM":2wjnxgol said:

If the guy was really 100% about it, he'd have used his wedding tackle :lol:

I realise that it's slightly off the prime reason for owning a sawstop, but they seem (at least on one u.s. luthier forum...) to be held in high regard for their solidity and accuracy. More so than other machines of a similar price.
My own opinion is beginning to waver, in that I don't believe a system like sawstop should be the sole means of safety. But on top of training/experience/driving knife/guard etc, surely something like this would safeguard against a moment's' inattention and prevent loss of a digit or arm.

Slightly different, but a similar principle, are airbags in cars. Nobody would suggest they replace careful and sensible driving, but I wouldn't want to drive a car without them.

Cheers,
Adam S

the problem is not the tool, its the user and easy available tools. on a site my uncle was working on 15 years ago a fella cut off 2 fingers with a panel saw,hand saw. yet nobody ever goes on about how dangerous hand tools are. this sawstop has been around a few years now and its a good machine. without what you might call the gimmick.

Don't you have to turn the saw stop off for damp timber? how do you know its damp enough to trigger it?
If you get it wrong how much does it cost?

I wouldn't buy one I prefer to be careful and treat my saws with a healthy level of fear.

Pete

Racers":1acj8j9r said:
Don't you have to turn the saw stop off for damp timber? how do you know its damp enough to trigger it?
If you get it wrong how much does it cost?

I wouldn't buy one I prefer to be careful and treat my saws with a healthy level of fear.

Hi

I was wondering exactly the same thing re the damp timber and also about the electrical path required for operation - would it still work if you were insulated from earth?

I'm sceptical of the advertising info that states you only need to replace the blade and the brake block - I would think the stress induced when stopping the blade that quickly would damage other areas of the saw.

It's a good safety system if it stops harm but the counterpoint to this may be that it inspires a more laisee faire attitude to saw safety.

Finally I couldn't see any reference to how the system is tested - can it be functioned with the saw stationary to give reasonable assurance that it will function as advertised in use?

Regards Mick

There are a lot of US woodworkers on YouTube with some level of credibility who test products and will happily call a product a gimmick if it turns out to be one.

However, I would say all of the vids I have seen have been extremely complimentary on the design, build and overall quality of the saw, with most reviewers selling their own saws to keep the review model.

That said, we have to remember that Sawstop is a US product and there is a big thing in North America in buying US goods especially given the influx of Chinese and European tools over there.

Back