How would you wall mount this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bearing in mind that the overall size is just 340mm sq I would wanting a totally invisible means of support. My thought would be to simply drill the wall, plug and screw at the mid point (top) of the two inner uprights (roughly 110 ctrs). Then, with the screws in the wall file the sides and bottom off to create a sharp spike on the top from the countersink head. Alternatively modify the screws first and screw them in using pliers. Next drill the uprights to sit over the screws. The sharp profile of the screw head should be sufficient to grip the oak and keep it snug to the wall.
Thanks TomGW. Do you mean to drill a small (the oak is 9mm thick) hole in the back of the uprights that would accept the filed down screwhead?

Thanks scholar, I like this idea a lot. I'm now wondering if I could make something useful of the baton underneath, perhaps turn it into somewhere to hang some items from.
I made and then installed these over-bed open shelves using just 3 French Cleats by routing slots in the back and then sinking metal keyhole plates. I also slotted the back of the frames to conceal low voltage twin-core wiring and a toggle pull switch for the down-lighters. The toggle switch being at the top, behind a removable service cover. The piano wire to operate the switch being drilled downwards exiting the underside (just visible if you zoom). The wires eventually terminating inside the matching wall cupboard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230919-072054.png
    Screenshot_20230919-072054.png
    576.3 KB · Views: 0
6 months later they are finally on the wall! I went with a combination of scholar's suggestion for a batten at the bottom, and some brass brackets at the top. I used 4mm dominoes in the batten to locate and hold the box. I decided not to use brass screws in the wall, as I couldn't face possibly shearing the head off. I thought the Spax was close enough in colour. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

PXL_20240325_103204947~2.jpg

PXL_20240325_103557335~2.jpg

PXL_20240325_103605663~3.jpg

Latest posts

Back