Sash cramps from Rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Routermonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Following on from the F-cramps discussion on this forum, I'm thinking of buying some sash cramps which are also on offer at Rutlands. Does anyone have any experience of them - are they any good?

I do have a few sash cramps which I bought form Axminster about three years ago and they're OK, but as the old saying goes, you can never have too many...

Thanks

Les
link

Hi! I got a set of 4 54" clamps. They appear to be pretty well made, sturdy and worth the money, one of mine had the little bend in it however.

Got a 6 pack of dakota 600mm F clamps last week and 2 of them were bent a little!

Bending in an F clamp isn't a problem They will all bend a bit over the years, and it doesn't make a jot of difference.

I think this is one of those tools where ultimate finish and accuracy isn't essential. I have a range of different clamps from different companies and they all work as I'd expect them, ie they clamp and the piece comes out straight.

Just bought 6 18" quick grip style clamps off ebay for less than 20 quid and they're perfectly fine.

Main difference between high and low end clamps tends to be finish and features, Bessey KR bodies have a lot of useful features, but at the end of the day are still a device for clamping two bits of wood together.

Though if Ed asks, I never said that :wink:

I bought some quickgrip ones from ebay a while ago, they did not last, the heads just broke off the bar with just light use.

I have a few from Wickes and they are great, except the rubber protectors keep falling off.

Mick

i got some from rutlands
when you use them on cabinets it makes them out of square
i love the axminster ones cheap and cheerfull
i have bessie ones nice but very very expensive

buy them from axminster or toolstation

Hi all

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, I was too impatient to wait for feedback, so I ordered a set of four 54" T-bar sash cramps on offer at Rutlands. :roll:

Hopefully, they're in stock, and I'll let you know whether they're any good when I receive them.

I've just been reading the section on cramps in Robert Ingham's book - he considers T-bar cramps are unecessary, because joints shouldn't be so tight as to need the extra force they can exert. Oh well ... :roll:

Les

Routermonster":2s98bn3m said:
because joints shouldn't be so tight as to need the extra force they can exert. Oh well ... :roll:
Les

He might reckon that...........

........I don't agree! Even if you do agree with this chap's viewpoint, there will still be plenty of other times when you need the strength of a t bar in a sash cramp. You'll never regret buying a strong clamp........I warrant that you'll often regtret it if you buy flimsy ones.

Mike

If you have ordered the ones you originally linked too they are not T bar clamps. They are just copies of the record 135 type of sash clamp with the plain bar. I have some t bars but tend to use the plain ones more. There are times however as mike says when a bit extra pressure is required.

Jon

When glueing things like table tops you can exert too much pressure and squeeze the glue from the joint and distort the join too. When you have some tight M&T joints though a good bit of pressure is needed and sash cramps are very handy for this

Hi all

My 54" T-bar sash cramps arrived last week, but I've only just unpacked them. I promised that I'd let you know whether they're any good, but I needn't have worried - they were covered in a protective coat of oil, and are well finished. They are seriously heavy, though. I doubt whether I'll buy any more this size, though.

They'll be useful for clamping the boards for my current table project (soon ... but these things take time), and sideboard (who knows when?).

Les

Routermonster":2uey48dc said:
I've just been reading the section on cramps in Robert Ingham's book - he considers T-bar cramps are unecessary, because joints shouldn't be so tight as to need the extra force they can exert. Oh well ... :roll:

Les

Les - I agree with RI's assessment (I've got the book as well) and if you look at the pics in his 'operating theatre' :wink: you'll see that all his sash cramps are Record, which in my view are the only ones to buy - Rob

Back