sanding routed rounded over edges on hardwoods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Hellman

Established Member
Reaction score
I make a lot of stuff, usually quite small, that is rounded over with a ovolo or round over router bit. From 4 mm radius upwards. I use a small brush backed sander from Kemet for this job. What do you guys use, is there anything better out there on the market. I hate sanding and I am always looking for ways of speeding up the process. Most of the time I am rounding off both sides of a curved board that is usually around 21mm thick

I pass the router back over the 'wrong way' to clean up. Sanding then is minimal to non-existant.

Roy.

I have tried this, and it can help a bit, I have to go against end grain and round corners etc and there is always sanding to be done. Hand sanding is out of the question, I am making a few thousand pieces a year. Also some of the boards are quite wide and a slight cup may happen, again making a good clean round over impossible.

I tear a suitable sized (and graded) strip from old belt-sander belt i.e. tough and cloth backed, then do it like a bootblack, holding both ends.

Jacob":jrgg9jf2 said:
I tear a suitable sized (and graded) strip from old belt-sander belt i.e. tough and cloth backed, then do it like a bootblack, holding both ends.

But not if it's an Ovolo! :wink:

Tony Spear":1r9tj0h4 said:
Jacob":1r9tj0h4 said:

But not if it's an Ovolo! :wink:
Right. Misread it.
I wouldn't expect to have to sand an ovolo as it should be possible to machine it perfectly.
Why is the OP having to sand anyway? I'd look at improving the machining. Spindle moulder and power feed could be the answer.

Latest posts

Back