Sand paper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm want to pickup a selection of sandpaper, mostly for hand sanding, as well as attaching to sanding blocks/dowels etc.

Probably will pick up some of each of the common grits 60, 80, 120, 180, 240

Has anyone tried the selection from Screwfix or Toolstation?

Screwfix : Titan Sanding sheets : http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-sanding ... f-10/54295

Toolstation : Aluminium Oxide Rool : http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Paintin ... 5mm/p75193

The stuff from Toolstation seems rediculously cheap, 240 Grit 10m, for £3.40??? .. so I'm guessing that can't be good

I'd be wary of the cheapest sand paper Toolstation offer, but they do seem to have a reasonable selection of better quality paper.
I bought some cheap paper from there once for an orbital sander, the cloth backing that sticks the sandpaper to the sander base kept on coming away. It was useless! :roll:

I've tried numerous brands and types of sandpaper and I find that the one I prefer by far is Rhynogrip red line.

Mirka/Abranet, superb.

I was reminded just yesterday of the difference between good and cheap. I have a Lidl multi-tool thingy which comes with a delta head and some loadings. I'm painting and decorating at the mo and the tool is useful for getting into the mouldings of skirting boards and the like.After a very short while it seemed to stop working and the sandpaper was falling off.
What was actually happening was that the furry backing was detaching from the abrasive, so the furry stuff was vibrating like mad and the sandpaper itself was hardly moving.
Sadly, cheap and excellent rarely go together in any aspect of life. :(

If its made by mirka then you can't go far wrong, I use their products almost exclusively and the time saved and money they have made me has more than outweighed their slightly higher cost.

The Bosch red rolls for wood are good. Mirka is pretty much fool proof. Abranet is first class, but for many jobs such as the outside of bowls etc. It's a bit extravagant when some papers like the Bosch do the job perfectly well at about a sixth of the price.

Despite having many packs and rolls of all different types of sandpaper, it's not seen the light of day since I discovered Abranet a couple of years ago. Excellent stuff and outlasts anything I've tried before.

Ive got a yellow roll of 60grit from screwfix or toolstation and then the silverline 150ish grit too.
They are ok but they yellow one clogs really really fast, not such an issue if you bulk cut a load up prior to starting, and it was silly cheap..... but next time I will try abranet.

Have to say, the Makita sanding sheets I got with the 1/4 sander are fantastic too, no idea on their cost but I think I managed to sad about 5times the area with one sheet than with the 60grit yellow :lol:

woodenstuart":26ljjfty said:
Ive got a yellow roll of 60grit from screwfix or toolstation and then the silverline 150ish grit too.
They are ok but they yellow one clogs really really fast, not such an issue if you bulk cut a load up prior to starting, and it was silly cheap..... but next time I will try abranet.

Have to say, the Makita sanding sheets I got with the 1/4 sander are fantastic too, no idea on their cost but I think I managed to sad about 5times the area with one sheet than with the 60grit yellow :lol:

Was that the Flexovit stuff? .. haven't seen many good reviews for that stuff.

The Mirka stuff is also yellow though

Hiomant from toolstation (the low grit one), which clogged with ease.
The 150ish was the Flexovit, and it did fine for knocking the undercoat back prior to painting.

Back