Sanding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Before I start cutting an item On the scroll saw I drill all the entry holes for the internal cuts and then sand the back off on a 36inch 80 grit sanding belt that is quite worn and after I have peeled the pattern off so the same with the front and to me that has been good enough. I have a large roll of 6inch sticky backed 150 grit sanding disc and I fold one of these in half and use this for hand sanding the edges after I have rounded them over on the router table and again I have found the finish acceptable.

Last week I was fortunate to visit another forum member at his home who showed me his finishing technique and to be honest I was amazed at the end result. On his recommendations and giving me the name of a good supplier I placed an order as soon as I got home and it arrived today. apart from a tin of Microcrysalline polish I had the following grades of abrasives. 120. 180. 240. 320. 400. 600. 800 and 1200. I used all of these today, more out of curiosity than anything else, I went through all the grades on a plaque and after finally getting to the 1200 grade I was stunned at the quality of the finish. All these years just using the 150 grit as the finest abrasive I would use and now using this new way is such an eye opener for me I just wanted to share it with everyone.

Good information --- Glad you shared , I have never been really satisfied by my finishes tried all sorts but never a succession of sandpapers like you describe.But will try what exactly as you have mentioned
Many thanks
John

Afraid I don't achieve a very good finish, however I don't think I would have either the time or patience to go through all those grades! :shock:

I sand the front of my cutting up to 400 and no more as I don't think it needs it, when I used 1200 grit and microstyllin polish I used it on plastic and corian along with t cut and it was amazing, don't think you really need the micro polish either as it is mainly used for hiding fingerprints and as wood is so tactile ...

Like Steve, I personally do not go above 400 grit for general finishing unless you have a super duper product that deserves such finer sanding.

I think the start and stop grits are down to 2 (+1*) things. The first grit is usually determined by the finish left from the previous tool - lathe, plane, saw etc. The better the finish from the tool the finer the starting grit can be. The finishing grit I think is personal choice. The finer you go the more polished the surface becomes. You stop where you find it acceptable.
The +1 bit is the timber involved and the purpose to what the finished item is for.
Big open course grained timbers will look fine even close up stopping at say 400, or even 320. finer grained woods will require more sanding before you lose the scratches.
Whichever grits you start and stop at however, do not try and skip a grade between, you'll just be wasting abrasive and time because you'll spend twice as long with the finer grade before realising that you are not getting rid of the scratches left by the previous grit and end up re-doing it anyway.
IMHO ;)

Back