Garden table refurb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
Basic project, re-finishing my teak garden table. It's about 10 years old. Covered most winters, but neglected since it was purchased.

I took the high spots down (where the wood had cupped) with a hand plane, then went at the whole thing with a belt sander 60 grit then 120 grit (note, the budget Toolstation belts are total rubbish. All 4 that I used failed at the seam after 5 mins use). I bought a £17 belt sander from machine mart for this.

This got the table all level (more or less). I used my nice new toy - Metabo ROS - to get to the smoothness I wanted. 40 grit, then 80, 120, 180, 240. Silky smooth!! Using basic mirka discs (not abranet).

Really impressed with the Metabo, although I was expecting more rotational force, but I guess it's the oscillation that counts more? Any who. Lovely machine, my first proper sander and it's great value for money.

Next came the finish. After sanding, the wood looked so good, I didn't want it darker, but I knew that was inevitable if I was to apply an exterior finish. I considered Roxil , which seems not to darken the wood, but it was a bit pricey to experiment with. I read reviews on osmo UV, Rustin's, and liberon. In the end, the best reviews were for Screwfix no nonsense garden furniture oil (£10/L), which was clear (what I wanted).

Brushed the first coat on, thinned 30% with white spirit. It went on beautifully! It darkened the wood, but bought out excellent tones. It has a mild sheen, perfect. Second coat, thinned 15%, again, brushed on, and excess wiped off. Two coats done, tomorrow I will wipe on another two coats, neat.

Really happy with the result, and the Screwfix oil has really impressed.

Some pics below.

I'm very happy with the result, and an enjoyable little project too.
40db3cd32cb90f04c80acea20089ac98.jpg
89b933b51148574331f8737af3a60304.jpg
328c2bb41760e8af6c783505e4925e63.jpg
a1689183bcaf085fa58399b40f90949c.jpg
6ca78d18d8529eb1dc1bf32bf8e5a225.jpg
a60ee7ebf2e27f3213faf9cfdaf603cb.jpg
930ffc412cf4f4a360ecefc8341915c5.jpg
e3a65d1aafba762278b8ed9438d23b48.jpg
915db9df0db138a434eae1ca57d9e129.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The Metabos really are a great sander. I have found that I much prefer to use mine with the larger oscillation, regardless of grit size and hardly ever change this setting. Despite this apparently being the more aggressive cut, I have never had any problems with sanding swirl and I only ever finish out at P240.

I have re-sanded and re-finished my Jatoba outside chairs and table countless times. I have found that a parasol definitely extends the time between sanding and re-oiling but despite this I am resigned to it being a biannual process, regardless of which finish I have used. And I’ve used a few now. And I’ve even done a 12 coat oil finish.

Nothing lasts well that looks nice. With exterior furniture finishes you have the stark choice between something that looks nice and is clear, thus letting you see the natural grain: oil based finishes of various types, which are, ultimately short lived. Or alternatively, something that looks nasty (suspended pigment finishes with UV block - think chocolate brown, sandy yellow or that awful “you’ve been Tango’d orange” ) but performs well: Sikkens, Sadolin etc.

I always opt for the former as I simply can’t abide those colours. The table is always no problem. I can skim and re-oil the top and the square legs (should they need it) in under 30 minutes. The chairs, however, are a reall ball-ache. Hence the whole lot gets put away from oct-mar.

Thanks for the compliment Bob. Yes, I'm very happy with the finish.

HJC1972":izf0xr79 said:
The Metabos really are a great sander. I have found that I much prefer to use mine with the larger oscillation, regardless of grit size and hardly ever change this setting. Despite this apparently being the more aggressive cut, I have never had any problems with sanding swirl and I only ever finish out at P240.

I have re-sanded and re-finished my Jatoba outside chairs and table countless times. I have found that a parasol definitely extends the time between sanding and re-oiling but despite this I am resigned to it being a biannual process, regardless of which finish I have used. And I’ve used a few now. And I’ve even done a 12 coat oil finish.

Nothing lasts well that looks nice. With exterior furniture finishes you have the stark choice between something that looks nice and is clear, thus letting you see the natural grain: oil based finishes of various types, which are, ultimately short lived. Or alternatively, something that looks nasty (suspended pigment finishes with UV block - think chocolate brown, sandy yellow or that awful “you’ve been Tango’d orange” ) but performs well: Sikkens, Sadolin etc.

I always opt for the former as I simply can’t abide those colours. The table is always no problem. I can skim and re-oil the top and the square legs (should they need it) in under 30 minutes. The chairs, however, are a reall ball-ache. Hence the whole lot gets put away from oct-mar.
I tried both oscillation settings and have come to the same conclusion that it was more effective using the larger 6mm oscillation setting.

I think now that I have proper tools for the job, I'm happy to refinish every year, rather than have a pigmented finish. The legs however, far more involved, will get a nice coat of paint to match the garden decor. I don't have the patience or time to refinish the legs more than once every few years.

4 coats total now, pic below.
05e968b9cb6da989e19c9fcc816bb115.jpg

Back