RYOBI RT6000 Router Table HELP!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaktree11

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum so sorry in advance!
I have been given a Ryobi RT6000 router table. It is in very good condition except, critically, the cast iron table is broken underneath where the Tbolts that hold the router brackets locate. Evidently someone has overtightened them and they have pulled through.
Conceivably I could repair it, I can think of a few ways but ideally I would source a new part.
I tried Ryobi but the part is no longer available. Looking at RecordPower's website, their router table looks identical and they are very helpfully going to measure the cast insert for one of their tables, it costs 121 pounds!
I was wondering if anyone with more knowledge/experience than me has any other ideas?
Secondhand would be great if I could find one, or a cheaper new one? I understand that these machines were often cloned and badged
Any help welcome - thanks in advance

John

Attachments

• IMG_0391[565505].JPG
    IMG_0391[565505].JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,007
If you cant get the parts free, then its not worth the money to repair.
You can build you own table to your own size for a LOT less than a £100.

Where I can get a cast iron top for a router table for under £100.00, I say for under £100.00 because there is a lot of other equipment required.

Mike

the table doesnt need to be cast iron, This is a router table. Mine is made from 12mm ply with a 22mm melamine top and a kreg insert. The top is 90cm square and I can use it as a lay out and glue up table if I want.
the kreg insert is a luxury, not a necessity.

theres a thousand different plans available.

Quite right it does not need to be cast iron, but as it is already it better than a piece of melamine.

Mike

depends on the cost of the repair (which was my original point).
How flat does a router table need to be?
Using a 3 ft builders level my melamine is as flat as that level is.

Cast iron tables are not just about being flat, the mass of the table dampens out vibration which with very large bits can be considerable.

Mike

Just off the top of my head.

I have a local model engineering club. They make scale models of steam locomotives. Many of the members are machinists who have metal working lathes. The guy I know who has done little jobs for me also has a machine called a mill. Which is used to make parts.

Might be worth your while to see if a club close by. They would probably be able to machine up a replacement part out of some type of strong steel at a very reasonable cost. They are mostly retired, hobby machinists, so not in it to make money. Compared to mega a precision engineers would charge.
Hope that helps :)

sunnybob":31t1f356 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx0UMzE5E3k
Thats a big makita 1/2" router.

No relevant point to that post, the u-tube presentation shows a very small bit, also it is also impossible to see what the table is made from, use a panel raising bit in a lightweight router table and you may have to hold it down, a cast iron table top is obviously going to dampen down vibration better than a lightweight MDF top.

Mike

Hello,

Don't repair the table, I doubt it could be done anyway. Make tee bolts with a long tee that will span the defect. A bit of mild steel bar, the correct width, a couple of inches long with bit of threaded bar riveted in would work. I would do this for all four fixings, in fact, since this would prevent the cast failing elsewhere; it is fairly poor iron and a bit thin at the point where it needs to be strong for the high clamping pressure to securely support the router. I would definitely not replace the part for 120 pounds as there is so little of the iron part of the table on these to be worth worrying about. I came across one of these tables just the other day, as it happens, with the cast failed in the same way as yours. If it was given you and is serviceable then it is OK. But if it is going to cost you more than a few Bob to get running I wouldn't bother. The fence is not great TBH and half of the cast iron table is actually behind the fence anyway, leaving little where the timber actually runs. So you either have to lean too far over an overly wide ribbed alloy table or use the table from the other side and have an overly narrow cast table. It is useable but ergonomically lousy and I would build my own if it was going to cost any money to fix. Regarding vibration dampening of cast iron, it would be great if it had more cast iron. As it is there are lots of flimsy alloy castings with flimsy screws holding things together which evidentially, from inspecting the one I have acquired, work themselves loose. I'm sticking to my homemade table which has served me well, (vibration free ) for the last decade or so.

Mike.

Back