Ryobi One Plus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manso

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm being asked for ideas for (my) Birthday/Xmas presents.
I'm looking at the Ryobi One Plus system - start with 18V batteries, add tools. My first tool will probably be one of their two reciprocating saws, for cutting reclaimed wood for ease of transport, garden use, rough carpentry etc. Anyone any experience of the One Plus range generally, or indeed experience of Ryobi?
Regards

Hi have a few of the Ryobi one tools which I bought as 2 sets. The first was a jig saw and drill/driver set with 2 batteries and a charger from Screwfix £99. And then a circular saw and drill/driver set again with 2 batteries and a charger and again £99 from Screwfix. This way I have 4 batteries and 2 chargers, 2 drills, a jig saw and circluar saw for £200. The set with all three tools and only 1 charger and 2 batteries is £220. So it's £20 in my pocket, 2 batteries and an extra charger and an extra drill for free! :D

The drills have been superceeded but are still available. In general they are great. The chuck has a lock but it's a little intermittant. You set the speed on to drill setting, fully depress the trigger and release. If you hear a click then the chuck is locked and changing bits is easy but the click doesn't always happen and you have to depress the trigger again. The batteries are 18volt 1.7amp which initially seems quite poor when compared with B&Q offerings that are 1.5amp for a lot less money. The Dewalt and Makita stuff can have up to 3amp batteries so last substantially longer. That said they do (on the drill at least) last a long time. I have screwed 350 3 inch screws into pine on one battery charge. The charger claims to be a one hour charger but I find it takes longer than that for the light to turn green. On top of the battery is a handy magnetic section to hold screws rather than having to keep them in your mouth when you're up a ladder. Hammer action is very good and I fitted some hand rails to my grandmothers house which has very hard brick containing black bits which have defeated cheap chorded drills I have had in the past.

The kits when advertised say thet they come with a plug in lanyard to prevent dust ingress when no battery is inserted however I didn't get one with the jig saw/driver set. Ryobi were very unsympathetic when I rang then and gave me a number of a supplier who could sell me one. In the end I bought 3 extra so I have one for each tool.

The jig saw is very good althought it is a little dependant on the quality of the blade. The speed control is on the trigger rather than a wheel at the top like other jigsaws I've owned which I like. It has pendulum action with 4 settings. The only problem has been that on occassion the pendulum action has vibrated on when in the off position but so far this hasn't spoilt anything.

The circluar saw is a little more dissapointing. They make a big deal of finish achievable with the ultra fine kerf blade but I suspect the real reason they've gone for it is that the saw is a little gutless. It's fine for 18mm sheet material but if you want to trim down 2*4 stock say so that it fits in the car there is a problem. The maximum depth of cut seems to be just shy of 2 inches so you can't cut through this with one pass. You have to cut as deep as possible and then flip the wood over and cut again.

Both the circular saw and jig saw eat batteries. It's not a probelm for me as I have 4 but could leave you stuck with just 2.

Dad has the right angle drill and apart from the fact that it's 14 inches plus long thats also a good quality tool.

In conclussion I would say that they are good usable tools. Not up to the standard of Dewalt etc but also not the waste of money I have found the DIY shops to sell. I would recommend them but would say not to buy anything cheaper! I would always get what ever deal is on at Screwfix for £99 other wise they are all £150 for the sets. B&Q were selling the drill/driver and impact driver kit for £99 last week but I don't know if it's still on.

I've got a good collection of these, thanks to a couple of business trips to America in the past year - I just needed to buy a UK charger when I got back. Latest purchase (from ebay) is a new ryobi one garden strimmer with 2 batteries and charger -£50 delivered so a good way to get an extra tool almost for the UK cost of batteries and charger.

I agree with dom, with 4 batteries (or 6 in my case - only £20 for two if bought in US) you have a enough to keep going.

Best tools in the range (based on what I use most):

impact driver - great for 4" screws with no pilt hole but also on the car - loosen wheelnuts first then spin them off/on.

hammer drill

torch - surprisingly useful

reciprocating saw - cut down a willow tree a few weeks ago with branches about 6" thick - used standard bosch green timber blades. Also used it a few weeks ago with a metalsaw blade to cut out a doorframe for reuse (i.e cut between the frame and brickwork).

least used tools:

vacuum - came in the first set but it clogs to easily
circular saw - think i need a better blade as it wanders.

If they had bigger batteries it would be an excellent set.

Back