Routers and 'No volt release' switches...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanA

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

For the last decade I've been using a Dewalt D625E 1/2" 230v router fixed into a router table. The table has a 'No volt release switch' fixed on the side with the router plugged into the back of it. The router itself is left permanently switched on. This router now needs replacing so I bought a Makita of a similar size but found it had a built in NVR switch. Consequently, when it was switched off, the only way to start or restart was to get under the back of the table and use the switch on the router. At first I thought it was a fault and returned it to the supplier for a refund. I then decided to replace it with the new but more expensive Dewalt DW625EKT 1/2" to avoid any further problems . However, on looking at its specifications on the Axminster website, it appears that this model now has the same built in NVR switch. As far as I'm aware this 'family of 1/2" routers' have been widely used with a router table but how can this be practical using this type of switch in the machine? I'd be grateful if anyone could advise on how to get around the problem and/or recommend an alternative make of router that would let me return using my bench top NVR switch!

Many thanks
Ian A

Last edited:
Hello

For the last decade I've been using a Dewalt D650E 1/2" 230v router fixed into a router table......
Sorry Ian,...I'm a bit confused....The only listing I can find for a Dewalt D650, is a belt sander..???

Do you mean a DW625 router...?

Legislation came into effect last year ("IEC 62841-2-17:2017 Electric motor-operated hand-held tools, transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery - Safety - Part 2-17: Particular requirements for hand-held routers") that effectively requires all new hand held routers to have the equivalent of an NVR switch built into them. Manufacturers and retailers had 12 months to dispose of their existing stock.

I highlighted this when I did my router bench build in November last year, and again earlier this year when I took a look at the Trend T12, which along with the T14 were the first routers that have been redesigned specifically to meet this legislation.

Long story short; if you want a table-mounted router that plugs into an NVR switch, buy an older model while you can. P

The world is going mad, what is this obsession with NVR switches on portable power tools, either they are trying to force people into cordless tools or they believe that people are no longer bright enough to be trusted. I have some oldish makita grinders, all they used was a trigger that has to be held in for it to run and so cannot be left on which for a grinder is a good approach. The question to ask yourself is when did you last suffer a loss of electrical supply?

The Trend T14 has a remote cable to overcome the NVR issue in a router table. Expensive but that may be the only choice for a while unless you can get a non-NVR model from someone that might still have stock.

Legislation came into effect last year ("IEC 62841-2-17:2017 Electric motor-operated hand-held tools, transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery - Safety - Part 2-17: Particular requirements for hand-held routers") that effectively requires all new hand held routers to have the equivalent of an NVR switch built into them. Manufacturers and retailers had 12 months to dispose of their existing stock.

I highlighted this when I did my router bench build in November last year, and again earlier this year when I took a look at the Trend T12, which along with the T14 were the first routers that have been redesigned specifically to meet this legislation.

Long story short; if you want a table-mounted router that plugs into an NVR switch, buy an older model while you can. P
Thanks for this explanation - I'll look out for an older model either new or second hand.
Cheers Ian A

The Trend T14 has a remote cable to overcome the NVR issue in a router table. Expensive but that may be the only choice for a while unless you can get a non-NVR model from someone that might still have stock.
Thanks for replying - will have a look at the Trend router you mention
Cheers Ian A

As far as I'm concerned I'd be looking to bypass the NVR in the router itself but making sure there is an external NVR on the table with permanently wired in router.
that should be compliant with regs as it is no longer a hand held router and still has an NVR that cannot be bypassed by unplugging the router from the NVR

The world is going mad, what is this obsession with NVR switches on portable power tools, either they are trying to force people into cordless tools or they believe that people are no longer bright enough to be trusted. I have some oldish makita grinders, all they used was a trigger that has to be held in for it to run and so cannot be left on which for a grinder is a good approach. The question to ask yourself is when did you last suffer a loss of electrical supply?
Its not the fact that the loss of electrical supply is the only issue (though the frequency does depend on location)

The main danger is plugging it in with it switched on!

It's very easy to leave some of the routers switched on and a shock when they get plugged in. I did it myself last year with a 4 1/2" grinder whilst helping my daughter with some homework. I think it scared me more than her but could have been very nasty!

Our AUKTools routers have been pre wired to NVR switches since I first developed them several years ago, I does make them safer to use and much more convenient.

Cheers

Peter

I did it myself last year with a 4 1/2" grinder whilst helping my daughter with some homework.
None of my grinders lock on, 4 1/2 or 9 inch and have triggers you hold in, they are all 110 volt site tools though so never really thought about it before but maybe there are some differences between domestic 230 volt tools and site 110 volt tools.

Anyone know if the NVR is tripped if the on button is held pressed in ?.

I was just experimenting there using an edging clamp.. which fits, but i dont have anything set up that way to try it.

Clamp to switch, and use the 3rd screw to put pressure on the on button.

I know it sounds dodgy as hell :LOL: but you never know.
(These initially cost me £6, are now priced at £13 each, and its not the best clamp really- from an edge clamping point of view)
505524_xl.jpg

I was just experimenting there using an edging clamp.. which fits, but i dont have anything set up that way to try it.

(These initially cost me £6, are now priced at £13 each, and its not the best clamp really- from an edge clamping point of view)
View attachment 144833
An NVR should not be tripped by holding the switch on.

However that will not do what you want it to as an NVR WILL ALWAYS trip whatever the switch position so as soon as you turn off the router using the mains the NVR on the router will always trip. It doesn’t matter how many NVRs are between the mains and the load they MUST all trip if the power is cut.

This is only logical as a momentary, or slightly longer, interruption of power must stop the router what ever the switch position, any other way will be dangerous.

Spectric, I believe that some Bosch angle grinders have a straightforward on/of switch as as opposed to a biased (trigger) switch. A mate of mine managed to partially sever his achilles tendon when his Bosch grinder bounced back and because it did not have a biased switch continued to run after he dropped it, bounced up and hit his ankle and it was this continued running of the grinder that allowed the grinder to cut his tendon. If it had been fitted with a biased switch this accident probably would not have occurred. I cant speak for any other brand of angle grinder, I dont use one, I dont like them and would be very loth to do so. To each his own

It's very easy to leave some of the routers switched on and a shock when they get plugged in. I did it myself last year with a 4 1/2" grinder whilst helping my daughter with some homework. I think it scared me more than her but could have been very nasty!

Our AUKTools routers have been pre wired to NVR switches since I first developed them several years ago, I does make them safer to use and much more convenient.

Cheers

Peter

Hello Peter - Thanks for your note. The AUK routers look to be very good but probably a bit pricey. I've been looking at the Trend T14 which would solve the problem otherwise a second hand Dewalt DW625E might be the answer If I could find one. Ian A

If anyone is looking at router tables then please do your homework and costings. If opting for a router table having dismissed the spindle moulder then do some searches on these forums and it could save you money as well as giving you the better engineered solution.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...ncra-plate-triton-option.126763/#post-1416405
I have the Jessem prestige lift and only because I already owned a big Triton so for me better cost wise although not the best solution. If you have nothing or are looking at wanting to keep your current router for handheld use then the best solution is not mounting a plunge router into a table, it is always going to be second best because you are using something that was actually designed and intended for handheld use. If I was building a router table today then I would be looking at either the Jessem or Incra lifts with the AUK motor because it delivers the best choice for the table, but don't just rule out the spindle moulder like I and many others have done over the years because the more you read the more it appeals especially to those looking to replicate existing profiles and mouldings.

The Jessem mast R lift with the AUK spindle is only around £100 more expensive than buying a Triton, muscle chuck and Jessem prestige lift plus you need to modify the triton to make it more usable.

As far as I'm concerned I'd be looking to bypass the NVR in the router itself but making sure there is an external NVR on the table with permanently wired in router.
that should be compliant with regs as it is no longer a hand held router and still has an NVR that cannot be bypassed by unplugging the router from the NVR
Hello - Thanks for your reply which sounds like a credible solution but I'm not sure I'm the right person to be tinkering around inside a router! Ian A

View attachment 144833

I think the Trend T14 is almost double the price at £510, the Auktools router with the similar specification is £279.95. If you already have a router lift then an old DW625 should serve you well, I have one on my JessEm Prestige lift and it's a great combination.

AUKTools 2400W Fixed Base Router with NVR Switch

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/jessem-rout-r-lift-prestige-metric/
Cheers

Peter
Hi Peter - Unfortunately to go with the AUK I'd have to invest in a completely new set up. I don't have a router lift and my table is a fairly old Record one which wouldn't fit the either of the recommended lift mechanisms. Having said that the AUK outfit does look very tempting! Cheers Ian A

Latest posts

Back