NVR switch with adjustable resistance?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shed dweller

Reaction score
I recently bought a Makita 1/2" router off Amazon while in Japan. Not my favourite way to but tools but needs must. It all seemed good until I realised it doesn't have electronic speed adjustment.
I bought it to be the big dog in a router table so for those big cutters I could use the adjustable speed, I had been thinking of having a NVR switch when I make the table but I thought rather than a straight forward NVR maybe there's a switch that can adjust the power to the router and therefore the speed. Anyone out there got any ideas? Thanks

Yes. You need a 2kW rated one but a variable speed control module for power tools or heaters will do the job. Not very expensive.
You won't get constant speed under load because that requires built in, smarter electronics, but a cheap module will give you some speed control.

Thanks Colin and Sideways. I started finding possible switches on Amazon but as with anything electronic I always worry that the wrong choice will burn down the house. I'm going to have to try Amazon Japan in the hope that the ones they sell are right for their 100v supply.

SCR or triac type speed controls sold in the UK will have components safe for our 240V mains.
If the Makita is a 100V Japanese tool you first need to power it off a 110v site transformer (the 10% difference won't matter) then put the speed control between the transformer and the router to do the variable speed function.
A UK speed control should work "down" at 110V. A Japanese 100V mightn't be safe "up" at 240V if you were to accidentally plug it straight into the mains.
The speed control isn't a good way to try and reduce 240V down to 100V for the tool.

Thanks again Sideways. The router will be staying in Japan. It really was grabbed as a bargain which is why I missed there not being any speed control. I took a festool 110v 1010 router with me last time but decided I would need the 1/2" router so got the Makita. I did wonder if being a 240v switch would be ok or if it would have other problems. It probably makes sense to buy out there because I now tend to have more tools than clothes in my luggage.

Latest posts

Back