Router Table V's Spindle Moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Harding

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Im moving to a bigger workshop in the fairly near future, so i got over excited and started planning. First on the list was to build a much bigger router table in the new shop. At the moment i have a small ish one attached to the TS that is also the outfeed.

So i thought, make a really good one, big for better work support etc etc. Then i thought id like to use one of the fancy incra fences and have a top lift plate etc. But they're about £300 each and then once youve added the materials for making it (not to mention the time) its well over £700.

So now im thinking, if im spending that, why dont i buy a spindle instead? For example the FOX

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery-&-a ... le-moulder

at basically that price, or maybe spend a bit more for the axminster

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -32673.htm

Surely even i cheap (ish) spindle is going to give far superior results than a RT? What do people think, does this sound like sound reasoning to you or am i just getting carried away?

Luke

Apparently the fox is really good. I know a few people off the forum who have bought it.

Luke, I have both and they should really be thought of as two different machines. The SM is good for large runs of rebating, moulding etc as it will cut to full depth and width in one go whereas with a router the passes have to be small and multiple. The SM will also cope with large panel fielding safely. On the other hand the router is better for smaller pieces and working with templates.

I've got that spindle - it must have been on special offer at the time as I only paid £350. Quite good, but limited because of the 142mm max dia cutterblock, and the spindle doesn't tilt either. Apart from that it works well. Expect to pay at least the same amount again on some basic tooling (rebate block, universal block and an adjustable groover). And spend some time making up a decent sub fence and jigs.
You'll still need a router table as well though, but you really don't need fancy fences etc - a plate, a fence made of mdf and a couple of cramps to hold it down is all you need. A length of T-track and a (home made?) mitre fence is useful as well.
You could add your name to the router plate group-buy if you don't mind waiting...... :wink:

I dont plan on getting rid of my current router table, but thought with added space i would either have a second dedicated table or get a spindle instead.

I think the fox looks good for the money my only worry about it is the folded steel top that fits over the carrage tracks when the sliding table isnt attached. shown in the pictures on this website

http://www.foxmachinery.co.uk/acatalog/ ... _105_.html

Has anyone that has it able to say if this works well. I.e. can you adjust it so it fits parrellel and flat to the cast bed?

luke

L Harding":3b6d42c8 said:
my only worry about it is the folded steel top that fits over the carrage tracks

Both the fixed and sliding tables were set up correctly when I got the machine, and are still fine. The support brackets can be adjusted if necessary. Like a lot of machines, it's not a good idea to use the tables to heave them around - I some castors on mine, and a handle:
4620600911_7f78cf2be8.jpg

I am storing the idea of a router table on its side. Mostly as a horizontal morticer.

I really couldn't justify buying a SM, as it just wouldn't get enough use. Being a bit of a 'square', I am not into using mouldings on my furniture.

On the odd occasion when I do use mouldings I can buy, or make up a suitable profile with my 'multi-bit' for the router.

Besides which SMs, I admit, scare me just a mite! :D

John :wink:

Benchwayze":2w3scx6h said:
Besides which SMs, I admit, scare me just a mite! :D

John :wink:

Me too :oops: :oops:

With the added space in the new workshop i would hope not to have to move the spindle around at all. does anyone know of any showrooms in the south east that stock the fox? Ive done the google gig and didnt really seem to find any.

srp: Router plate group buy?

I read a post about a group purchase of aluminium router inserts.

I was interested, but I have a piece of 10mm aluminium that would be ideal. If I could find someone who could make a plate for me!

But then, would I ever get 'a round tuit'? (Making the table that is?)

I would probably carry on using the Trend table, on the Router-Rack! :oops: :oops:

John

Back