Router table top cover

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the same method as Triton. Textured Formica sheet with contact adhesive to hold in place. It ends up very heavy, but I used two sheets of MDF bonded together then the Formica on top of that. The edges I finished with softwood flush withe the top of the Formica so the Formica edges are protected. The end result is great and is plenty deep enough to sink t track into and the router plate. The offcuts of Formica got used up to face the fence and other jigs that I made.

Tufnol was used a lot in the avionics industry. It's machinable and very dimensionally stable. Was used extensively for making prototypes, jigs and fixtures. You can machine it quite easily, you can even 'thread' it. Would be brilliant for fences and table tops. It's quite heavy as I remember and I don't know how much it costs.

One of the members here made a router table using a piece of laminated kitchen top from one of the hardware stores.
That’s what I did….
IMG_6304.jpeg

I used the same method as Triton. Textured Formica sheet with contact adhesive to hold in place. It ends up very heavy, but I used two sheets of MDF bonded together then the Formica on top of that. The edges I finished with softwood flush withe the top of the Formica so the Formica edges are protected. The end result is great and is plenty deep enough to sink t track into and the router plate. The offcuts of Formica got used up to face the fence and other jigs that I made.
Did you buy the formica sheet online? I had a quick look and could only see large sheets at over £100

Tufnol IS used a lot - - - not only in Aerospace but Engineering, Marine, Rail, Offshore, Electronics and Construction Industries.
Seem to recall turning some back in the 80’s and it threw off dust more than swarf which was fine at the time but the following day it felt like someone was standing on my chest…good for its intended purposes but not particularly nice when inhaled.

"Buffalo Board" would be a good choice. It's plywood with a phenolic layer on either side (one smooth side, one textured side). The phenolic material has similar characteristics to Tufnol. Available in various thicknesses.

Clive

Back