router playing up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys I have a Hitachi M8 router.Had it a couple of years and a nice piece of kit.
Spends most of it's life living fixed in my home made router table.
I was using it today and the up and down slide has gone very stiff, like two hands pushing on it to get it to move.
is it a simple matter of WD40 and slide it up and down to free it off, or is there more to it than that.
I am awary of just guessing what lube to use as I know this can cause long term problems in some applicatons.

Cheers all.
Chunko'.

This as I am aware is a bit of a common problem with some hitachi routers.

Use 3 in 1 on the spindles and let it soak into the bushings.

a golden rule of router maintenance is always to keep the spindles lubricated and clear of debris. this is what can happen. If this doesn't work, if you feel competent to do so, it's time to dismantle the router carefully, clean out the head, motor and casing and give it a freshen up.

I had this with an ex demo trend T5EK sent to me by the marketing rep for Trend. After 3 weeks light use under a PRT table from trend, the spindle started going a little strange, when removing from the stand to do normal work, the spindles to base were dry and wouldn't run. So it was time to turn on my older compressor, bast the machine down, lubricate the spindles, massaging in to the bushings so the oil would soak in.

it worked for the most part but still a bit on the funny side.

so it was time to dismantle and with scotch cloth (you know the type I mean. abrasive cloth scouring pad) rubbed the spindles, recoated with oil, worked better, removed the casing. there was all sorts of dust in there and interfering with the guide bushes and springs. blasted out, applied oil at the spring level and above bushings to spindles. ran it by hand. closed up and then powered up. left it on for 1 min without any cutters in, sitting on a counter top. problem resolved.

not bad for a blind woodturner lol

lew

I wouldn't use WD40...use white spray grease and I agree...it needs a good clean out and if you can polish the plunger shafts with some fine metal polish like MAAS or similar...all the better...before greasing of course!

Jim

Took it to bits yesterday, ha ha ha.
There is a tiny brass slug that is part of the locking machanism, it rolls along floors.
The previous owner had added small wooden dowels as spring tensioners in the legs. Pillock.
Anyways, I got apart, cleaned it up put it back together and it seems fine.
Upon reassembly I realised that the base and legs come off without taking the whole caboodle apart. sensible that.
An easyish job but fiddly, how fast is it done at source?

Chunko'.

Oh Dammit Chunko, I was just too late posting to this as I have only just read it. I would have told you to watch out for the brass slug in the plunge tunnel. I have two of the Hitachi MV12s and have had them apart a few times. They are well thought out and do come apart easily. I use the dry PTFE spray on the plunge bars on mine, it works fine. Does your router have bellows covering the legs? One of mine does although they are getting a bit ragged now. I also find a good blast through with an airline works wonders, especially if it is used in a table. My MV12 is permanantly fitted in my table and I have removed the guide bush holder lugs on the base to accomodate larger cutters. My other Hitachi is left unmolested as it is used hand held, well it was until the electronic speed controller started playing up. Sorry to be too late though. :oops:

jimi43":nj4vx0w2 said:
I wouldn't use WD40...use white spray grease and I agree...it needs a good clean out and if you can polish the plunger shafts with some fine metal polish like MAAS or similar...all the better...before greasing of course!

Jim

:shock: What do you mean :? :? Is there actually something that WD40 can't be used for?
http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

DOOGYREV":12vpce3a said:
jimi43":12vpce3a said:

Jim

:shock: What do you mean :? :? Is there actually something that WD40 can't be used for?
http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

WD40 is the work of the Devil.

When they got to WD39 the CEO shouted "I would sell my soul to get this smelly gunk right!"

And there was a bright flash.....

The rest is history.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

Back