Router table problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were ok, I had used the router hand held before that and everything was alright! I think it's probably that the wood is a little uneven and when it's being pushed thru the bit it moves a little from side to side and thus the chatter from the router.
Sorry for seemingly being a negative so and so, but that comment has all the trademarks of
the usual tablesaw accident story, been using one for years etc.
Did I mention Roy Sutton's old VHS videos are available to watch freely on YT? it's not the usual tat you will see, i.e no hidden financial agendas nor hawking involved.

Not sure why you wouldn't surface the work, it's pretty much rule no.1 with any machine.
Safety and accuracy are of upmost importance.

Should, for whatever reason you decide not to do so, then a lath or cleat affixed onto the work
might be of use in regards to having something straight to register the fence against,
provided it's straight or can be made straight should it have a bow.

Make sure you have the correct collet, and at that one which is not damaged from compression,
the router looks old, but Japanese (or marketed as such)
I would take a potshot it's got a metric collet, but then again they could have been also marketed for the US or Canadian market, which often use imperial, should that not be evident looking at the motor specs, should be 50hz for UK.
Same deal with the router bits, metric and imperial are not interchangable.

Seriously, those videos are worth watching, I've yet to see something even half as good.

All the best
Tom

Sorry for seemingly being a negative so and so, but that comment has all the trademarks of
the usual tablesaw accident story, been using one for years etc.
Did I mention Roy Sutton's old VHS videos are available to watch freely on YT? it's not the usual tat you will see, i.e no hidden financial agendas nor hawking involved.

Not sure why you wouldn't surface the work, it's pretty much rule no.1 with any machine.
Safety and accuracy are of upmost importance.

Should, for whatever reason you decide not to do so, then a lath or cleat affixed onto the work
might be of use in regards to having something straight to register the fence against,
provided it's straight or can be made straight should it have a bow.

Make sure you have the correct collet, and at that one which is not damaged from compression,
the router looks old, but Japanese (or marketed as such)
I would take a potshot it's got a metric collet, but then again they could have been also marketed for the US or Canadian market, which often use imperial, should that not be evident looking at the motor specs, should be 50hz for UK.
Same deal with the router bits, metric and imperial are not interchangable.

Seriously, those videos are worth watching, I've yet to see something even half as good.

All the best
Tom
Thanks for the info,it's a hitachi m8,and it's metric,it's in good condition and wasn't used that often!
Would love to get a bigger one as I Don't think this one will give enough reach through the table as the plate the router is attached to is fixed to the underside of the table instead of inserted on top !

Latest posts

Back