Trend T4 dust cover blocking router bit visibility

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleyh

Established Member
Reaction score
The Trend T4 router includes a fairly effective dust extraction setup. Unfortunately, it's implemented in the least practical manner.

The dust cover obstructs the view of the router bit, making it impossible to gauge the bit's position relative to markings on the workpiece when setting up the T4 for mortising. Similarly, when routing freehand, the cutter is not clearly visible. Since the dust cover is attached to the base with screws, there's no quick way to remove it for setting up and put back for the actual cut.

I primarily use the T4 with the CRB7 base (which is excellent). However, the only way to configure the T4 for any form of mortising (when airborne dust is unacceptable) is to invest an hour in calculations, only to often end up slightly off in the end.

I'm not expecting to clearly see the cutter (with the dust cover on) during freehand use. Nonetheless, it would be fantastic if there was a method to align the router bit with markings on the workpiece's surface when the bit is plunged down. Although the T4's dust shroud is made of transparent plastic, it feels almost ironic. While transparent plastic theoretically allows for visibility, in practice (due to cleanliness issues and angles), I can't see anything.

I'm strongly considering cutting a hole in the dust cover, but I'm curious if anyone has discovered a clever workaround.

Attachments

• T4-cutter.jpg
    T4-cutter.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 0
Template? (As in use a bushing with a template, so you don’t need to see a line?)

Template? (As in use a bushing with a template, so you don’t need to see a line?)
Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, that is indeed an option, but it isn't significantly less time-consuming than my current method involving calculations.
  1. The T4 comes with a 16mm bushing, bit not a centering pin.
  2. The mortise size varies frequently, and I'm not particularly keen on crafting a template for a singular mortise.

Fair enough, issue 1 is easily surmountable, issue 2 was not mentioned in your post above, which probably includes more detail about the problem with dust extraction than the practical design you are trying to implement.

Given you appear to say you are investing an hour per mortise in calculations, you may actually find a template or even a variable length jig considerably faster, though experience is likely to be a factor. It’s hard to advise with little information about what is being mortised.

Also, if you have so many variable mortises in a single piece — is it worth reconsidering the design?

Hello @__jvc26

Thank you for your feedback.

To clarify, I am specifically in search of a method to accurately position the T4 router bit prior to initiating a cut, while concurrently reducing dust while cutting. If the bit is not visible during the cut then I can live with that. Although the T4's dust collection is commendable, it does not enable exact bit positioning.
I've been using templates with a top bearing router bit when suitable, but the idea of creating a template for every single cut or just a few cuts doesn't seem practical to me.

I don't know whether this would be useful in this instance, but it's a very useful addition to your armoury.
https://www.wealdentool.com/cgi-bin...ine_Catalogue_Centring_Point_692.html#aSTP030
I do own this precise bit, yet it doesn't hold much utility in this particular instance if it remains obscured by the dust cover. Also, it goes to a sharp point and some calculations are still necessary to factor in the router bit diameter.
I do find it helpful when I need to position my router for drilling vertical holes.

Back