Router bit sets ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blister: I have only bought a single set of bits many years ago. None since as there are bits in the original set that I have NEVER had call to use making the ones that I did use somewhat expensive. Instead I buy bits as I NEED them & would recommend anyone to follow the same procedure.

Lee

Lee Brubaker":3v3ijoqv said:
Blister: I have only bought a single set of bits many years ago. None since as there are bits in the original set that I have NEVER had call to use making the ones that I did use somewhat expensive. Instead I buy bits as I NEED them & would recommend anyone to follow the same procedure.

Lee

Thanks Lee for the suggestion , but buying them one at a time will cost a fortune in postage costs :( so a basic set with 1 postage cost , plus if I cant find a single profile in the kit to do a job , I can then buy 1 offs to add to the set

Cheers

:wink:

devonwoody":314t7316 said:
Blister, purchase from Wealden only the bits you need.

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/order_delivery.html

Free delivery on some orders.

Purchase four or five cutters you know you will need and the quality will be good as well. They come in separate boxes.

You will then have a problem of course, you will not then need to purchase anymore of those bits, mine are still going strong 6 years later. :wink:

I've got Tornado bits (as well as others) and I've never had a problem with the Tornado one's. Haven't destroyed one yet, and I tend to take bigger bites than recommended (yeh, I know, no patience :? )

Note that the Tornado bits are Imperial sizes while most others are metric. You may not wish to mix them up.

I have also used Infinity bits and rate them very highly.

Brian

Personally I would not pay a lot of money on a set, I bought a set of 30 1/2" shank cutters from ITS for £35, to be honest you won't use half of them and the ones you use a lot can be replaced with a top class cutter from Wealden Tools.

Just a thought from the colonies but, one bit that I love is a simple pattern bit. The pattern bit on a half inch shank would seem a monster next to mine on it's quarter inch shank , yet would be sooo useful. If you have never had one , they are a flush cutting bit with the bearing on the shank as opposed to the top of the cutter portion. This allows for very simple matching operations, for example , to route a square or rectangular hole for anything to fit into, place the item to be matched on the piece directly and brad appropriately sized bits of scrap or plywood down surrounding it. These provide the bearing a surface to ride that is sized perfectly to the actual object. No measuring means less mistakes and perfect fits. Variations on this method provide perfectly matched recesses for inserting router to router table, thus making your router even more useful and fun. Like I said , just a thought from the colonies.
Regards of the best type, Mike

Hi Blister,

I've got the set you showed from Rutlands and have had them for a couple of years. I use them in my Triton and they do take off the wood (and MDF) very well. I've probably used 7 of them which has to beat buying them separately.
The Ultimate set looks the best value but I wonder if you'd ever use more than the 24 piece set?

David

Fine woodworking did an article a while back, about the ten essential bits that anybody should buy as opposed to buying sets of cheaper bits and not using most of them.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=26888

Their "essential kit" includes the following,

• 1⁄4-in. straight bit
• 1⁄2-in. straight bit
• 3⁄8-in. spiral-fluted straight bit
• Rabbeting bit with four bearings
• 1⁄2-in. dovetail bit
• 1⁄4-in. roundover bit
• 3⁄8-in.-radius cove bit
• 45° chamfer bit
• Three-wing slot cutter
• 1⁄2-in. flush-trimming bit

If you're not a member of the Fine Woodworking site, you can take up a 14 day free trial to check out the article (and many others)

Cheers

Aled

I have got a couple of SIP router cutter sets in my workshop which I use and pound for pound they are excellent value for money and are as good as the Trend cutters I have got.

Rog

I got a cheap NuTool set years ago...used the parallel bit once before it died...never used the rest and eventually chucked them in the bin. Steel of Cheese!

CMT however...I have bought them as I need them...they have never even blunted let alone broken or worn...

Not cheap but you get what you pay for. I would follow Aled's list and buy what you need when you need them.

I have some Trend ones too from various bootfair finds and they are good too...super cheap at about 50p each if I remember correctly.

Jim

Trend do a couple of box sets 1/4 and 1/2 inch which are excellent value for money, i've had both sizes and for the money cannot go wrong approx £35 for a set.

Back