Router bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM

Established Member
Reaction score
Newbie question alert!

Do you use router bits with bearings in the router table?
I went in the shop yesterday (first chance of a go a the new table) and was
going to make some simple shelves for the new nursery.

Not to be! I could not get the profile bit to cut how I wanted it too, It seemed to catch on the bearing. It seemed that the fence was also in the way?

I am going back in there today (not to be beaten) so I can take some pics If it helps.

As I said, Total newbie to the table, Please be gentle :oops:

Thanks

The bearing should be set level with the fence, rest a 6" steel rule on the bearing and adjust the fence so all are in line and the rule does not rock on the bearing ar rest on the fence without touching the bearing.

A pic of your particular cutter may help if its a specific problem with one profile.

Jason

Hi, Thanks Jason.

I will check that later and will let you know how I get on.
I think that may be the problem tho because the wood was rocking on the bearing and leaving a mark on the wood.

Thanks again.

The other way to do it is not use the fence at all, lower the bit and place the wood against the bit so that it just touches the bearing, do plenty of passes raising the bit a little with each pass a until you get the whole profile.

and bearing`d cutters are used for template work on a router table....
the bearing would run against a MDF/hardboard template attached to your wood to create the final shape.

Back