Rounding Over Edges of Patterns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
Due to my last thread been slightly de-railed, I was just getting some interesting responses to how I should go about rounding over the edge of a fairly intricate pattern, Gill said she uses her Dremel but Im worried I will break off the more delicate pieces as its only lime and it doesnt seem to be a very hard waring bit of wood on the whole. Thoughts?

Most of the American sites seem to recommend inflatable drum sanders (not an oxymoron, honest!) but I havent particularly seen them this side of the pond. Not that I have looked that hard though, so they may well exist. Essentially an inflatable sleeve goes inside the sanding spindle and gives the belt 'flexibility' when a workpiece is pressed on it. More typically used in intarsia pieces than delicate scrollwork I think however.

Steve.

Don't forget the flap sanders too, Steve; the 'Murricans love their flap sanders :) .

I've tried a flap sander but it's not suitable for small pieces of wood. I got really cheesed off having my workpiece ripped out of my hands and hurtled into the dark recesses of the workshop.

I don't think inflatable drum sanders are available in this country although I've no doubt they could be imported through a company like Rockler. I've got a set of small Carroll sanding drums which are fine as far as they go, being lined with some cushioning which helps to produce a soft curve. You've still got to round over little nooks and crevices manually, though, and for this you really do need a craft knife and a bit of abrasive paper.

Lime shouldn't be too brittle for a Dremel mounted in a router table. I've used mine on small pieces of MDF quite successfully and we all know how easily MDF layers separate :roll: . The secret is to make several passes, removing only a little material with each pass.

Gill

given that you only have one piece to do, it might be worth just doing it by hand using an abrasive paper.

also the foam backed discs in 80-120-240-300 etc grits that are meant for wood turners to use on a power drill can be used in the hand - being foam backed there is a bit of give in the pad.

I am not sure what you are asking so I will probably respond to a question that you already know the answer. If you are talking about sanding the fuzzies off the back of your finished project this is the way I do it. I take one of those non sliding sanding mats, place my worked piece face down and very gently sand with a vibrating palm sander. I make sure I move the sander in the direction of the rolled up ends where the paper attaches to the sander. With a light hand you can sand some very delicate fret work. In place of a comercial sanding mat I have also used 1/2" foam carpet padding.

Terry

Hi there its bean a while I like my flap sander for a lot of things cleans the fuzzies good to . and Gill I got a vacume catchers mit for the small pieces.
324175249.jpg

Back