Rose Engine Rosettes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to build a Rose Engine from various bits I've cobbled together but I don't have any rosettes. I imagine that they have to be very accurately made and I'm not sure I have the wherewithall to reproduce that accuracy so I've turned my thoughts - shock, horror- to buying them! But where from? Does anyone know of a source in the UK?

Bob

Based on the fact that brass and plexiglass seem to be popular choices for the rosettes I could probably cut them on my CNC machine if you had patterns you wanted. The limitations would be the inside radii of the outer wave (limited by the diameter of the milling bit) and I see there are some rosettes with patterns on the face rather than the outer rim - they might be feasible but would be a bit more difficult to cut.

Well that has blown my mind.
I just clicked on this as I was wondering what a rose engine was. So I googled it found it to be an awesome bit of kit and watched 4 youtube videos.

Fascinating things, I agree with sploo about maybe doing the parts on a CNC machine.

Ollie

get them made in perspex on a cnc. Thee is no set waveform or amplitude to make. I have seen various with different sets on them. you could even have say a 4 "bump" rossette but with vastly differing sizes in terms of the bump or even the diameter which will give very different results. I have plans for one somewhere and can look out the designs and dimension etc for that if you would like. may take a while to find them. though

Hi Bob, Im guessing you know Gerry Marlow RPT he might be worth having a chat with as he’s into ornamental turning these days I believe though I’ve not seen him for a year or more because of Covid.
Hope you’re keeping well & retirement is suiting you, your demonstrations.are sorely missed.

Thanks all. At the moment I don't know enough to design my own rosettes, so can't really ask someone to make them for me. Doug you're right I know Gerry. I'll contact him. Thanks for the kind words about my demos!

I'm trying to build a Rose Engine from various bits I've cobbled together but I don't have any rosettes. I imagine that they have to be very accurately made and I'm not sure I have the wherewithall to reproduce that accuracy so I've turned my thoughts - shock, horror- to buying them! But where from? Does anyone know of a source in the UK?

Bob
I've had quite a lot of dealings with the Worshipful Company of Turners, in the City. At their biannual exhibitions there are always a couple of Rose Engine Turners with their machines and always very keen to explain their work. I'm sure the Turners will put you in touch with them.
It won't make an impression but if you want to name your contact I am Martin Cooper formerly of Valence School, the Turners were very supportive of our children and provided a lot of expensive equipment.
Good luck I'm always impressed by the rose engineers.
Cheers
Martin

REBECCA BAKER
ASSISTANT CLERK
Mobile: 077 0346 1271
Office: 020 7236 3605
Email: [email protected]
THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANY
OF TURNERS OF LONDON
SKINNERS’ HALL
8 DOWGATE HILL
LONDON EC4R 2SP
www.turnersco.com

Well, Bob, I’ve looked at the videos and read all the comments, and now know that Faberge used a rose engine to make his signature guilloche enamelling or something, but I’m still baffled as to what ii’s all about. Are rosettes the plastic discs with variously slotted rims some people are making in the videos?
Anyway, good luck with the restoration, mate. When it’s done put it on here.

Martin thanks for that suggestion. I'm a retired member of the Register of Professional Turners supported by the Worshipful Company of Turners but I don't know any of the Ornamental Turners personally. (It's the turnings that are ornamental, not the turners). It's another avenue to explore.
Democritus once said 'there is nothing but atoms and the void' or words to that effect. Not that it's relevant! Yes, the rosettes are the plastic discs you mention. When it's done...ah, there's a thought!
Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back