Road Pricing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point is to try to encourage that kind of thing.

Have you noticed that when the school are off, the level of traffic reduces dramatically. Where do they all go to, they can't all go on holiday.

What I worry about is where are they going to store all of the data that will be generated for road pricing. I would suspect that each car would have to upload the data every 30 secs. That could be 50 million uploads per minute.

Another problem is how do we check the details. At the moment if you dispute a gas bill, the reading is on your meter so you can prove how much gas you have used. Will we have any data in the car to compare.

MrJay":v6ichf9j said:
The use less fuel thing or the other thing?

This kind of thing..

MrJay":v6ichf9j said:
Talking of which - if School were to start at, say, 10:00 instead of 9:00..?

Except for businesses rather than schools.

I hate speed cameras as much as the next person.

Hi all

By all means have a grown-up discussion about road pricing, but please keep politics out of it.

Political content will be deleted .

The rules of this forum specifically exclude the discussion of anything political.

Thanks
Neil

Scrit":20z6b0xp said:
Shivers":20z6b0xp said:
yeah only criminals have vans.
You speak for yourself

White van Scrit

nice one scrit --how nice of you in this thread to read that out of context purely for your own benefit,--
Please explain to me how i worded it so wrong that you had to give me that response!!!

BTW --i don't own a white van(nothing wrong with owning one anyway)

misconception on your behalf methinks(Why is this)--do you have a hardon for me ?.

shivers.

I've recently had a few discussions about this with my circle of acquaintances and my only response to the introduction of tracking devices in our cars used to price our journeys is;

Civil Disobedience. In particular, I would personally find a shady techie to either remove the device or find a way for it to send junk data to the servers.

It's a disgusting idea from start to finish and just increases the whole big-brother society we currently live in and will do nothing but make poor people even more poor as they can't avoid to travel to work. What happens then? More people on benefits as it will be better for them to stay at home and do nothing than pay through the nose to drive to a job.

Viva La Revolution!!

MrJay wrote:
public transport will be free at point of use
Couple of years ago we had a holiday in the States, part of which was in Hawaii. The public bus system over there is such that every journey, no matter how far cost $2.....so if you decided to get on the bus to go 100yds to the beach, it will cost you $2. If you decide to do a complete 50 mile circular tour of the island, it will cost you $2. As long as you stay on the bus you could go as far as you liked for a couple of bucks...fantastic, and loads of Alf's 'Murricans used the system. I know that there is a vastly different fuel tarrif :shock: in the US of A but it might be an idea worth a punt....or not? - Rob

mr spanton":2fllh5qb said:
...its fair game to attack any govt or their policy's, and have full and free debate on any contentious issue.
It certainly is, and there are many dedicated internet groups and forums available for such attacks - suggest you use one of them.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2grme5sr said:
mr spanton":2grme5sr said:
...its fair game to attack any govt or their policy's, and have full and free debate on any contentious issue.
It certainly is, and there are many dedicated internet groups and forums available for such attacks - suggest you use one of them.

Cheers, Alf

The petition site is at a gov website--whereas you have to give email --then confirm through email hyperlink,---the statement at the site says that only 150 previous signee's can be seen at any given time ---HUH!!!!!,this means that in the time it takes you to sign--then check email (ie next day)the chances are that you will not see your name when you go back & check the list--as over a 150 people have pushed your name into oblivion,think about it!!!!,which also means that you cant survey the list of signee's also --whether it be 100 or 11,000,001 people,if the site was to act fair the whole list would be available for intrested brit citizens,what does this stink of---yep you got it,B/B operating proceedures ran from no other than a gov website ---someone tell me is that also in the anti protest laws that if you want to make a point via class action --you have to do it through a gov website???,--brings to mind the latest president whom miraculously won 2 elections.

Modernday enhanced democracy in action.

if you dont believe me --go to the site.

shivers

Shultzy":y0ciar8l said:
What I worry about is where are they going to store all of the data that will be generated for road pricing. I would suspect that each car would have to upload the data every 30 secs. That could be 50 million uploads per minute.

Don't worry, Shultzy. It will be project managed by the NHS 'big bang' IT supremo (still can't remember his name) who will have been conveniently moved sideways after the NHS new central spine crashed spectacularly resulting in the total and irrecoverable loss of data.

The road charging data will be spread across 35 other government computer systems (since this model will have been found to work superbly for the ID card system). C*apita will be the chosen operator (after a carefully managed tendering and procurement exercise) and you should get your visit from the bailiffs for unpaid road charges a few months later.

Your actual bill, although for the inaccurate and stupendous sum of 35 million Euro, and subsequent correspondence was lost in the new postal delivery system following the total closure of all rural post offices and the complete privatisation of the Royal Mail.

Meanwhile, all the new building for the London Olympics will have been completed on schedule and to budget.

Shivers - I disagree with your comment, I signed the petition and followed through with the email link, and saw my name in the first 15.

With reference to free public transport, I studied transport management and from my research can say that the cost of transport is not the primary reason for lack of take up. An experiment was carried out where all buses were free for six months. This created very little change in passenger numbers. Routes, times and frequency were then changed and a major change in numbers occurred. Reducing travel time, running buses at the correct time, and improving routing was the key.

The major cost in buses is wages, hence larger and larger buses. The ideal would be smaller buses, covering more routes, with less stops.

Many european cities run 'taxi buses', which are as numerous as taxi's but are 15 to 20 seater mini-buses. I always found those to be a good system, and very efficient.

Freetochat":1i258a0r said:
Shivers - I disagree with your comment, I signed the petition and followed through with the email link, and saw my name in the first 15.

With reference to free public transport, I studied transport management and from my research can say that the cost of transport is not the primary reason for lack of take up. An experiment was carried out where all buses were free for six months. This created very little change in passenger numbers. Routes, times and frequency were then changed and a major change in numbers occurred. Reducing travel time, running buses at the correct time, and improving routing was the key.

The major cost in buses is wages, hence larger and larger buses. The ideal would be smaller buses, covering more routes, with less stops.

Many european cities run 'taxi buses', which are as numerous as taxi's but are 15 to 20 seater mini-buses. I always found those to be a good system, and very efficient.

You just shot down my conspiracy theory--HUH!!!.

I can't see where free buses make a difference if they don't turn up on time or go between the right areas,
Having said that our buses aren't to bad here in norwich(although theres always grannies complaining all the time in the local papers).
From what i'm finding out from this thread around the rest of the country it's pretty bad,--i don't think taxing people of the roads is the best idea,part of freedom to me is to be able to travel within my own country without hinderence--everybody that is born on this earth should have the following thats in this link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomy
We are slowly being driven back to being peasant class again.

this is my unfortunate sad opinion.

shivers.

I just signed up and my signature appeared at the bottom of the list (where I'd expect it). Hit refresh and another 9 had been added! That's about 5 a second or 300 a minute!

I was referring to equivalent groups to this - but devoted to discussion of politics. A quick Google should find more than enough to choose from.

Cheers, Alf

It doesn't matter whether you think I'm wrong or not, it's in the forum rules. By posting you agree to abide by those rules. It's not a matter of choice, it's just how it is. Mature people know how to abide by the house rules I hope?

Cheers, Alf

Mr S - I'm afeared I have to agree completely with Alf on this one. Whilst the topic discussed is undoubtably absorbing, folks were tip toeing twards the political line and just nudged over it....not on. Forum rules is forum rules. FWIW I used to belong to a very dubious organization (no names, no pack drill) that totally banned any discussion of any sort on politics or religion - Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back