Riving knife modification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
One thing which has always bugged me about my saw's riving knife is the way it stands proud of the blade, like this

DSCF1247.jpg

The guard itself removes within seconds, by simply unlocking a bristol lever. But the riving knife design prevents enclosed cuts from being made - ie shoulder cuts etc.

So I decided to modify the riving knife thus

DSCF1248.jpg

Having the top of the riving knife below the level of the blade means that I can now cut shoulders, tenons etc.

Here is the finished shot, with the guard back in place - and my Metabo blade. Freud blade on its way to e-bay shortly :x

DSCF1249.jpg

There was one final benefit to this excercise - with the guards removed and the blade lowered, the riving knife is now below the surface of the table, meaning that I can pop an MDF cover over it and use it as an assembly table

DSCF1252.jpg

Cheers

Karl

Nice one Karl. This is exactly what I was planning for the Jet Supersaw before I sold it. For exactly the 2 reasons you point out. Tho on the Jet you only needed to lop about 10mm off.

How are you finding that saw? Does it have a standard size mitre slot?

My riving knife is very similar to that one Karl. I made the slot it mounts on longer so I could lower it more. Mine also sits just below the blade and the top remains untouched to attach the crown guard. Naughty but nice. :wink:

Hi Karl

It's very interesting...it looks like the saw is the Metabo 200...

I have the Metabo (Electra Beckum) PK-255. The riving knife and the blade guard looks the same.
The riving knife sits normally some 3mm below the blade...maybe, your riving knife is designed for the 255mm blade but when used with 200mm blade it stays above the blade.

I changed the "Bristol lever" with a wing nut...

Anyway, nice modification...

Regards
niki

Rivingknife.jpg

What I understand may simply be an urban myth, but I have always understood the reason for the 'L' shape slot is to stop the crown guard being sent flying if the wood lifts for any reason.

Roy.

Tom

I think the saw is great, if a little noisy. I only paid £330ish, when the alternatives I looked at were closer (or over) £500. It is also useful for me to be able to put it in the back of the car and take it on site if needs be. It seems to be about £330 everywhere now - they must be phasing it out.

Having said that, I haven't used a "proper" table saw. I don't know how it would compare to your old Jet. Not very well, I suspect.

It takes a standard mitre bar - I use an Incra mitre gauge with it.

Alan

Didn't think about making the slots longer - good idea.

Niki

The saw is the Metabo TS250, and uses a 250mm blade. The riving knife just would not sink below the top level of the blade.

Funny you should mention about changing the bristol lever for another locking nut - I was hunting round the 'shop for one tonight. The bristol lever is a bit cumbersome for removing the blade - the lever section can catch on the table if the blade is low. I'm going to change it as soon as I find a suitable nut.

Cheers

Karl

Good work, Karl, but, I do share Roy's concern and would advise you to look at extending that slot for mounting the crown guard securely... :? There appears to be plenty of room for the guard to sit lower so, that shouldn't be a problem. :)

Roy/Olly

Bloody hell - you guys don't miss anything do you.... :lol:

The only reason I didn't extend the hole was because I had left all my drill bits (with the exception of my auger bits) on site. So I only had a large hacksaw and a round file to do the job.

Once I get my drill bits back next week, i'll be extending the hole.

Having said that - do you really think there is any chance of it being knocked off? The guard is secure to the extraction pipe via epoxy glue. Also, there is plenty of clamping force provided by the locking lever. And I doubt that timber would rise at a sufficient speed to knock the guard off anyway.

Nonetheless - it will be done.

Cheers

Karl

To be honest Karl I've never known a piece of timber lift enough to be a risk, frankly I think it's a belt and braces idea.

Roy.

Can I ask why your Freud is on its way out? Brad said something less than comp about his Freud recently, and I've just put someone to a great deal of trouble to get me a particular Freud blade back from USA (it's installed this very day but still virgin). I've had a Freud blade for nigh on 20 years and can't fault it, hence my recent replacement, and I'm surprised and slightly concerned that people are less than delighted with their Freud purchases. I have no connection, but I'll be disappointed if my new Freud is not every bit as excellent as my old one.

S

Steve Maskery":119lwyp2 said:
Can I ask why your Freud is on its way out? Brad said something less than comp about his Freud recently, and I've just put someone to a great deal of trouble to get me a particular Freud blade back from USA (it's installed this very day but still virgin). I've had a Freud blade for nigh on 20 years and can't fault it, hence my recent replacement, and I'm surprised and slightly concerned that people are less than delighted with their Freud purchases. I have no connection, but I'll be disappointed if my new Freud is not every bit as excellent as my old one.

S

Hi Steve

I purchased the Freud, really on the back of recommendations on this forum.

It wasn't that there was anything particularly wrong with the blade supplied with the Metabo, but I thought I might be missing out on something better by not "upgrading" the blade. So I bought a combination blade, which stated that it was ideal for both ripping and crosscutting hardwood and softwood. As I have a project on the go at the moment, and a few more lined up as well, I thought i'd upgrade the blade.

As soon as I did my first cut with the Freud, I knew it was a mistake to change the blade. Rip cutting was much less comfortable than with the Metabo blade, and crosscutting wasn't as clean. Also, don't ask me why, but the dust extraction didn't seem nearly as good. Perhaps this last point was in my mind - but i'll find out tomorrow when I do some more cutting with the original blade.

I'm not dismissing all Freud blades, but this one definitely didn't do it for me.

HTH

Cheers

Karl

Karl":1ryvnisx said:
As soon as I did my first cut with the Freud, I knew it was a mistake to change the blade. Rip cutting was much less comfortable than with the Metabo blade, and crosscutting wasn't as clean. Also, don't ask me why, but the dust extraction didn't seem nearly as good. Perhaps this last point was in my mind - but i'll find out tomorrow when I do some more cutting with the original blade.

I'm not dismissing all Freud blades, but this one definitely didn't do it for me.l

I've never used a Freud saw-blade, but their reputation (outside this forum) isn't all that - yes, good quality but not top-notch. Trade, rather than industrial, let's say. It is possible, Metabo being based where they are, that they purchase their stock blade from one of the true industrial makers and you were actually downgrading.

All surmise, but given Freud's place in the pecking order, it is entirely possible.

As Mailee says, the best way to mod the knife, if possible, is by leaving it intact but elongating the slot used to bolt it in position, allowing the knife to sit lower.

Did this on my sip for the same reasons Karl mentions and it does make a big difference being able to cover the top with a couple of pieces of thin mdf when the saw's not in use as well as cutting shoulders etc, but otherwise the guard is always refitted for safety of course.

Cheers, Paul :D

I have tried different blades in my electra bekcum PK200 and nothing matches the blades that came with the saw. Perhaps I have been spoilt but my knife can be adjusted over a range of heights and there is also a scale on the knife to facilitate this adjustment. To be honest I thought most saws had this feature. Karl I see you have a curved slot (just visable) don't understand why you cannot lower yours, unless you are using a smaller diameter blade ( a bit risky as each blade is designed to operate at a certain speed) as has been suggested.

newt":1oq8gi6v said:
Karl I see you have a curved slot (just visable) don't understand why you cannot lower yours, unless you are using a smaller diameter blade ( a bit risky as each blade is designed to operate at a certain speed) as has been suggested.

Hi Pete

The blade is 10", the maximum the saw can take.

The riving knife does have the curved slots in it, and you can just see one of them (there are two slots) in the second picture - I chopped a bit too much off, and had to raise the riving knife a touch. They are not visible in the first shot of the unmodified knife - because the knife was lowered as far as it would go. As you can see from that first shot, the knife was still considerably higher than the blade.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Karl

Regarding Steve Maskery's point about Freud blades, I bought a thin kerf Freud Pro Dual Purpose blade last week replacing a CMT. I've only used it for ripping so far (100mm mahogany) and I'm delighted with it's performance. Can't wait to get out to the workshop and try out it's cross cutting abilities now!

I now use a similar blade in conjunction with a sled on my TS Jim and my shooting boards are no more!

Roy.

Hmmm. I have a Freud blade for my 9" Portable saw.

Maybe I'll send the old blade for resharpening! I was going to change it, because somehow I managed to cut part-way through the ribs on the underside of my Triton table. I don't think the blade (An Elu) even noticed it was cutting mild steel!

Not that I shall be using any tools for a good while!

regards
John
:)

Karl":laiup67w said:
One thing which has always bugged me about my saw's riving knife is the way it stands proud of the blade, like this

DSCF1247.jpg

The guard itself removes within seconds, by simply unlocking a bristol lever. But the riving knife design prevents enclosed cuts from being made - ie shoulder cuts etc.

So I decided to modify the riving knife thus

DSCF1248.jpg

Having the top of the riving knife below the level of the blade means that I can now cut shoulders, tenons etc.

Here is the finished shot, with the guard back in place - and my Metabo blade. Freud blade on its way to e-bay shortly :x

DSCF1249.jpg

There was one final benefit to this excercise - with the guards removed and the blade lowered, the riving knife is now below the surface of the table, meaning that I can pop an MDF cover over it and use it as an assembly table

DSCF1252.jpg

Cheers
Karl

They must have changed these riving knives as my 3 yr old Elektra Bekum version of your saw has a knife that can go lower than the blade.

Back