risk analysis

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi has anyone done a risk assesment/analysis on workshop machines.
started new job today and been asked to look into it. if anyone has done one any chance of a copy :D .
thanks andy

Hi Andy,
As David has said RA is a huge industry & there's many facets to it.

Writing a risk analysis is not usualy done by someone who is new to the environment. The HSE would be a good starting point, see Davids link.

FWIW I would talk to your QA manager if you have one, he may be able to guide you through the process.

thanks for the replies. just wondered if anyone had something on disc.

david its for business

lugo

Your nearest HSE office is probably -

Government Buildings
Phase 1
Ty Glas
Llanishen
Cardiff CF14 5SH
029 2026 3000

I supervised it for my school technology dept. a long time ago - a legal requirement which although one might scoff at all the paperwork and ' I've been using this machine for years' kind of comment, has huge repercussions in the event of an accident, especially in the litigious age. We have all seen those Claims Direct ads. It also has very big financial implications to bring everything up to spec. A vey big can of worms.
I am sure you will find something by Googling or contacting the above.

David

well, if your local church has stopped the vicar changing the light bulbs after a risk assessment, then a newbie doing one in their new shop is
a little dumb.

realistically though if woodworking machines had been invented now,
few of us would be able to woodwork.

i mean rotating blades, dust, flying materials, and then all those chemicals,
it would never be allowed out by the lawyers.

paul :wink:

I have a set of risk analysis documents that I worked up for a live event. Obviously a world apart from a workshop but the methodology is similar I imagine. The thrust of the documents is to identify risk, imact level of risk , probability of risk becoming fact & actions taken to mitigate and react to events. If youre interested in seeing them drop me a pm with an email address to send them to. As I say you couldn't just reuse them - after all where would be the point in that - but they may indicate areas you might look at and how you might like to evaluate risk. Bear in mind though that risk assesment documentation is only as good as it is up to date, situations require monitoring and documents require ammendment. If for example new risks become apparent and you haven't documented them, in the eventuality of an accident arising if your documentation is found to be lacking you may be found liable - in some cases personally. Having said that having up to date and correct paperwork is not and is not intended to be a get out of jail free card.

Cheers Mike

Back