Ripple Sycamore

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imperial

Established Member
Reaction score
Just picked up some Ripple Sycamore today, 1st time I've bought any so was not sure how much ripple to expect. This also made me a little cautious about how much to buy so only bought 4 boards 9ft x 11"x 1.25". Was so eager to see what was hidden underneath the saw marks so gave a quick scrub block plane to see :twisted:

fye5wm.jpg

Project details of what its to be made into will follow shortly.

I love tiger anything...tiger maple is gorgous but this is too!

I think that the Americans sometimes use poor descriptive terms but their use of "tiger" versus "ripple" is definitely preferred by me...at least!

Love to see what you are going to do with this. How much was it may I ask?

Jim

That's fantastic - another one wanting to know where from (and dare I ask roughly how much). You are a lucky chap :)

Miles

Gorgeous. I bought a plank of 'ripple sycamore' last year. I'm currently in the process of preparing it for a project. The ripple is barely noticeable and not throughout the board. :roll:

Sorry no comments on where it was bought and cost, for the moment. I may need more soon and don't want it to disappear. Pippy ended up being too short Colin so was unable to get that :cry: I also picked up some turned Ebony knobs from Richard Findley to use on the Walnut items I made a few weeks back. Nice bloke and very good at the spinny stuff :wink:

Bloonose":19qnifb4 said:
Sorry no comments on where it was bought and cost, for the moment. I may need more soon and don't want it to disappear. Pippy ended up being too short Colin so was unable to get that :cry: I also picked up some turned Ebony knobs from Richard Findley to use on the Walnut items I made a few weeks back. Nice bloke and very good at the spinny stuff :wink:

Hi Bloo,

Thanks for the info on RF. That site has gone into my favourites.

Good luck with that gorgeous piece of timber.

John :)

Bloonose":10fyge2e said:
With wood that nice I'd get some more just in case :)

Miles

Hi Bloonose,

You said you said it looked promising but that's ridiculous :!: :!: :shock: :wink: We must see pictures of what you make with that board!!!

Glad you liked the knobs, I look forward to seeing the finished product!!

Cheers

Richard

miles_hot":s72za9xa said:
That's fantastic - another one wanting to know where from (and dare I ask roughly how much). You are a lucky chap :)

Miles

cant blame bloo for not wanting to share his sources

i think matty got his (as refered to higher up) from phillip richardson in cumbria - they are largely an oak dealer but do elm and sycamore etc as well.

and john boddy sometimes have ripple sycamore in stock also

I've had some good ripple from Boddies, they have some in at the moment. Plus I still have a few boards from a project last year

Picked up a nice board of rippled and figured maple today from another chap

wizer":yrjnnf28 said:
Gorgeous. I bought a plank of 'ripple sycamore' last year. I'm currently in the process of preparing it for a project. The ripple is barely noticeable and not throughout the board. :roll:

Have you tried oiling or just wetting it yet? There may be more to it than what first appears. :wink:

Bloonose - lovely bit of timber. Hope that grain doesn't cause too much of a struggle! :)

I bought some boards from Boddies this morning that were described as rippled, although I am not entirely convinced as to quite how rippled they are. I'll find out next week when I get to plane them down.

Latest posts

Back