Ripping 20mm mdf for skirting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinside

Reaction score
I have a couple of 2.4M mdf lengths approx 20mm thick that I wan to rip down further to make skirting board in a bedroom on two walls, just want it the same height as the skirting on the other two walls, not shaping it otherwise.
All I have is a handsaw. In Plymouth. Any advice would be very welcome.

Several cans of red bull - seriously though a decent/ sharp saw and a very steady hand + a friend to hold the skirting on some type of bench or other support. Or for a few pounds spent on a cheap circular saw ( battery option or mains ) will make light work of a couple of lengths of skirting . You may still need to run a plane over the cut edge to smooth out or use sandpaper. Good luck 🤞

If you are doing any type of house renovation you eventually are going to need a plunge saw and guide rails, amazing how many times you will use it, fitting doors to size, trimming skirtings is only the start.

I have a couple of 2.4M mdf lengths approx 20mm thick that I wan to rip down further to make skirting board in a bedroom on two walls, just want it the same height as the skirting on the other two walls, not shaping it otherwise.
All I have is a handsaw. In Plymouth. Any advice would be very welcome.
Make sure it's a sharp handsaw, or pick up a cheap hardpoint one - will be done quicker than talking about it.

Your probably need a festool track saw or a cast iron table saw. Others will be along to debate which is best!

Seriously a sharp saw and a straight line and your good to go!

Hi, first off, what mdf is it? Brown or green? Are the edges 'fluffy' in appearance?
I ask because there are different grades of mdf and if brown mdf or fluffy green mdf ( lower resin content than trade ) then it'll take a fair bit of work to get it looking decent when you paint it. In which case you'd be better off getting a couple of lengths of skirting from b and q, which is your best option

You posted a request back in July 2022 about cutting MDF and had heard about track saws you obviously did not buy one then can't understand why still asking how to cut MDF 🤔

You posted a request back in July 2022 about cutting MDF and had heard about track saws you obviously did not buy one then can't understand why still asking how to cut MDF 🤔
I guess if he only wants to fit the skirting, and not get into woodwork as a hobby, a tracksaw might be an expensive day out for 2 lengths of skirting..... whereas buying skirting and just cutting to length is easier 😉

Back