Restored N°4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm new here but I read you since a lot.

I would show the plane I tried restore, isn't perfect but I'm satisfied. The reason is to thank you because the merit is yours too! :lol:

a1.jpg
a1n.jpg

a2.jpg
a2n.jpg

a7.jpg
a7n.jpg

a5.jpg
a5n.jpg

a6.jpg
a6n.jpg

Sorry for my bad english! :oops:

Ciao! :)

mu":2d6zqtdg said:

I would show the plane I tried restore, isn't perfect but I'm satisfied. The reason is to thank you because the merit is yours too! :lol:

a1.jpg
a1n.jpg

a2.jpg
a2n.jpg

a7.jpg
a7n.jpg

a5.jpg
a5n.jpg

a6.jpg
a6n.jpg

Spam trap till you post three times. Ciao

Nice work indeed! :wink: There's great satisfaction to be got from bringing an old tool, no matter what it is, back to life. Something that another guy would have written off or pass off as being junk or simply not worth the effort.

Plus, knowing that you can adequately restore tools (and have the patience of course :p ) means that you can always pick up some bargains off the net or markets (just convince the seller that it really is only a rusty piece of junk and you just want it for show! :twisted: ), never mind friends or family that have old tools sitting in there sheds that they'd be dumping!

Hope she gives you many years of good service! 8)

Benvenuta Tommo....

That's it for my Italian! :oops:

I have done a number of old Stanley and Record planes and the Pre WWII ones especially are very good. In most cases it is just cosmetic surface rust and these come up really well with what we Brits call "elbow grease" (which means effort by hand!)

You have done a superb job there my friend....keep looking out for old ones as you will soon build up quite a collection with little effort.

Jim

It's all very well having it looking shiny - show us yer shavings!

First thing I'm sorry for disaster with pics and thanks to Tom!:lol: Thanks also everybody for comments!

The plane is OK but not perfect, some pitting on the back of the blade don't allows a good sharpening. I'll cut about 1cm from the edge of blade and re-sharpen.

I've got 3, 4, 4 1/2, 5, 7, 9 1/2, 60 1/2, 75, 78, 044, 071 of various type and conditions but this is the first I restore. All them coming from USA and UK bay because the metal body plane was not diffuse in the past.

Jim, here we have'nt elbow grease, only elbow oil!:D

mu":3ip9ne6x said:
Jim, here we have'nt elbow grease, only elbow oil!:D

It must be difficult keeping grease in good condition in the heat :lol:

Seriously. A very good job, Well done.

xy

mu":283d2v6v said:
..., some pitting on the back of the blade don't allows a good sharpening. ...
You could consider a little back bevel to cut past the pits. It is a smoother after all. After a few sharpenings and the pits are gone, then revert to flat face.

Tom K":myoxgpav said:
mu":myoxgpav said:

Spam trap till you post three times. Ciao

I think (based on my squinting at the photos) you have a "type 13", as per this site:

http://hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_be ... _ascii.php
http://hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_be ... #Type%2013

I can see 1 patent number cast in to the bed, and cannot see a "raised ring" for the knob.

So 1925-1928 would be the period. Nice job on the restoration. If the pitting on the back of the blade is only near the edge, it may have been caused by moisture/shavings caught under the cap-iron, which is rather common.

BugBear

Back