Faithful no 4 smoothing plane in the box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m just trying to find out what the angle is for sharpening the faithful no 4 smoothing plane cheers.
and I ap if it’s already been asked I have trouble reading since my strokes sorry again

I bought an old faithful no4 a while back. seems like a really nice plane. I took the horrid poly off the handles and waxed them up and it looks really smart. good luck on the sharpening

Yeah, it seems the Faithfull quality is highly variable. You can just about see the scuff marks from a half hearted attempt to file out a cast defect around the mouth on the one I bought. The perils of an online purchase...

Attachments

• PXL_20230606_185320339.jpg
    PXL_20230606_185320339.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Looks like some milling was omitted on that plane, wouldn't be surprised if it were chattery
with such a distance for the cutter to travel.
Some recent(ish) postings from D_W, he tested a few new planes out and mentioned of some trouble with the lever cap sitting nicely,
causing some issues with the adjuster, or something along the lines of that.
The adjuster too stiff to turn or some other such thing.

Perhaps the turnscrew makes this less noticeable, and the manufacturers can get away
without milling the bed of the plane?

Perhaps some work with a flat needle file might be required, should there be adjustment of
the frog to sort matters...
that is, provided it somewhat bears resemblance to the vintage era,
and by that, I mean the ones made after the solid faced frogs, which I would have guessed
is the pattern most of the cheaper planes were based on.

Should you wish to sort this plane out, a proper inspection of the vintage Stanley's or Record's is worth having in hand, if you ask me.

Plenty of reasons to have more than one hand plane.
All the best, and good luck with yer bidding.

Tom

Last edited:
I have 3, 4,5 and 6 all been fine.
The no 4 I have seem fine to me I’ve only seen one video on YouTube from a Irish guy brought a block no 4,5 and 7 only issue he had was block plane he couldn’t get straight and no 7 was bowed in both directions but not seen any others. Im not having a dig at faithful I’ve got plenty of there stuff and all been great. I just thought I would ask as been given the choice between faithful and Stanley both no 7

The no 4 I have seem fine to me I’ve only seen one video on YouTube from a Irish guy brought a block no 4,5 and 7 only issue he had was block plane he couldn’t get straight and no 7 was bowed in both directions but not seen any others. Im not having a dig at faithful I’ve got plenty of there stuff and all been great. I just thought I would ask as been given the choice between faithful and Stanley both no 7
I'd take a Stanley without a doubt. It will be an old one with lovely patina!

I'd take a Stanley without a doubt. It will be an old one with lovely patina!
They look better but I think I’m going with faithful it’s all down to money unless I wait another couple of months to get a Stanley there over double the price the only real rough one I saw on video was from a Irish guy his was bowed both ways took him 603 hours to sort it in granite I haven’t got any so I’m hoping it’s not bowed

That's why I have a faithful no6. Have a Stanley 4 1/2 and 51/2.

My skills aren't enough to see difference tbh.

Ok cheers just thought I would ask.
i wouldn’t wish what I’ve got on anyone since my strokes I’ve lost my short term memory can’t make decisions get confused a lot ect it does my head in I can’t even say the words I want to I’ll be talking then I go blank sorry just having a semi bad day

@Steve22 I would strongly advise against buying either a no 6 or 7, by any maker, unless you have a real need and purpose for either, they are big and unwieldy and more so if you have any difficulty with grip or strength.

My experience with faithful planes is poor, I bought a No 10 for a job, it failed miserably, fortunately as I know my way around hand planes, with a bit of work it just about performs its function.

ch I think I’ll get the 6 and save up for the Stanley no 7. Can I ask you as I don’t know would the faithful block plane 9 1/2 ok to get. I know they do two I think the other is 60 1/2 but unsure or best to get different brand ?
9 is slight larger.
It useful finishing plane.

Spear and Jackson do the same plane but cheaper.

Latest posts

Back