Black & Decker smoothing plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackcole22uk

Reaction score
I have an old plane sitting around with no blade. Not really sure if it's a longish smoothing plane or a shortish jack plane. The only brand markings on the plane is the hex B&D on the lever plate.
I finally decided to get a blade, but cannot find any trace of Black & Decker ever producing a manual steel plane of any description.
I'm not really too bothered about getting the blade, I'm sure something can be adapted, but I'm now just curious about the fact B&D never seemed to have produced a steel plane with B&D branding, and what I actually have.
Anyone any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I cant comment if a B&D hand plane line once existed but what you have doesn't look a million miles different to one of these:

1692316145134.png

Its a modern attempt at a Stanley No 10. Big rebate plan if you like as well as being a bench plane. Have to admit I never knew B&D did hand planes either.
Regards
John

I remember the B&D and it wasn't a roaring success.The era was late 1960's and it had disappeared from the selves by 1980.A few years ago I was working with a Polish fellow who picked one up at a car boot sale and it was good enough for his purposes.Around the same time B&D also tried marketing the type of F-cramp that Bessey do so well,in fact I wouldn't be shocked if they were made in the same factory.Again,they weren't around for too long.

Thanks for all your replies, most illuminating. Glad someone remembers B&D making planes, I thought from the lack of info I might have a one off.
@joshvegas, you are completely correct, looking at it more closely it is a paramo no 10 down to the "no 10" cast into the base in front of the forward grip, with just a rebranded blade holder.

Thanks for all your replies, most illuminating. Glad someone remembers B&D making planes, I thought from the lack of info I might have a one off.
@joshvegas, you are completely correct, looking at it more closely it is a paramo no 10 down to the "no 10" cast into the base in front of the forward grip, with just a rebranded blade holder.
Just read this thread and went and looked in the workshop. I have 1 packet of 3 Stanley No.10 blades and 3 packets of 5 Black & Decker blades, plus about 20 loose ones that need cleaning. If anyone wants them, message me and I'll post them off. (I used to run a DIY store many years ago.)
I knew a chap who had a Paramo and dropped it and broke one side at the blade slot. He painstakingly cut and shaped by hand some 3/16" steel side pieces which he screwed onto the plane body and made new blades to fit by grinding hacksaw blades to size. Beautiful job and worked a treat.

in my ignorance I never knew black and decker did hand tools, I think I'm right in saying it is all power tools now??

Of course, I heard about this company. When I needed to buy some new tools, I looked through these black and decker reviews and understood that the company offers products mostly for homeowners who only occasionally use power tools. So, the choice depends on your needs mostly.

Black and Decker is a huge conglomerate. They own Stanley, MTD (maker of consumer lawn mowers, etc.), Bostitch, Emglo and multiple other companies.

Time was, Black and Decker made some respectable tools. But somewhere in there, they made the decision to pursue the consumer market. On one forum where I hang out, the company name is either Bleak and Darker or Blackened Drecker.

I still occasionally use my Paramo Planemaster bought circa 1970. Can't get the Paramo blades anymore obviously but the Record RB10 blades fit a treat.

Black and Decker is a huge conglomerate. They own Stanley, MTD (maker of consumer lawn mowers, etc.), Bostitch, Emglo and multiple other companies.
Technically, it's the other way around. Stanley and B&D had been looking at each other for many years, it wasn't until 2010 that Stanley had enough cash to buy B&D. Stanley are more focused on dividends and lists than B&D was. Makes it a drearier place to work now than it was before.

Back