Respiratory protection, what do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neomorph":1cx1i9wh said:
Just goes to show how good the Airace is... they are using it in a galaxy far, far away! :lol:

Excellent! I've always been a Star Wars fan :D .

cheers

George

devonwoody":1qihdhlc said:
Yes it must have failed some test. But I am still not entirely happy that someone makes a CE mark decision that is not applicable world wide.
After all I still think the USA obviously have the best table saws but do not have the CE mark.
Not being an expert I listen to the master of these matters on this list, "Scrit".
His advice is compelling and my health and safty is paramount

Only just seen this thread, but for what its worth: I suffer from allergic rhinitis which gives me an appalling headache the next day if I get even a small amount of dust up my hooter. Therefore I have to use a mask for doing anything, even sweeping the floor (you may think that woodwork is not a good choice of hobby, but this ailment has only come on in recent years).

I have a couple of the 3M half masks that take a pair of filters, these are pretty good and fit well, but do get wet inside after a while like any mask.

I recently took note of favorable comments on this forum and bought an AirShield. Have used it for a couple of months, and it is my usual choice now. I found it was very difficult to get it to fit my head - if the headband is comfortable, the visor does not come down far enough for the fabric "gasket" to seal the bottom, so I have to tilt the headband forward. This is ok, but if I have to look down, it is likely to fall off ! Also the battery mounting is pants, you have to half dismantle the thing to get it out, and the connector - it looks like it was designed to be easy to break off.

It is nice and cool though, and my bet is that I will be glad of that later in the summer. Another bonus is the built-in eye protection - like a lot of people I would guess, I am a bit lazy about using the old "tap-tap" safety specs on every occasion. I always use them when grinding, chiselling concrete, or using the lathe, but drilling .....

Colin S

builderchad":28e1717p said:
I will look at the Airace but it does look massive and like it would interfere with eye glasses:

Hi BuilderChad, I use the AirAce and being the paranoid sort that I am I always use eye protection, I don't wear glasses but I do have 3 different sets of safety glasses and they all fit fine when using the mask. If the glasses are an issue though, there is a plastic visor available that clips to the front of the AirAce to give you eye protection too.

V.

I took delivery of the AirAce yesterday, with clip-on visor. So far, so good. Looks very odd, but I can breathe easily with it on and no fogging up. I can also wear my reading glasses under the visor...not easy with regular safety glasses.

cheers

George

I also got myself an AirAce yesterday, thanks to D&M Tools. :D

I'm very impressed with it also. As a glasses wearer, I've had a lot of bother with ordinary masks when sanding, in some cases I've even ignored the dust mask idea altogether! Not very wise, I know...

But I cannot complain about the AirAce. No fogging whatsoever! I can breathe perfectly now, although it takes a little getting used to having this great bulk hanging off your nose, I think. :wink:

I haven't bothered with the extra face shield as I find ordinary 'cheap' goggles fit fine with this mask.

I really like how you only have to throw the filters away and replace them, rather than buy another mask.

Here's another vote for the Air Ace - I wear glasses and was getting annoyed with the way the cheapo cup masks always fogged up. I find the Airace comfortable for reasonably long periods (Two or maybe three hours) and no misting up of specs. I have the face shield as well 'tho I don't use that very often.
I find all Trend products are excellant, I've not used that sharpening thingy but I wouldn't condem them just because one item isn't too good. As someone said it maybe promises more than it is really designed to do.

Just bought the Airace today at Woodex '06. It came with 5 free filters for £31 so I couldn't resist. I tried it this afternoon sanding and routing. Very nice piece of kit I must say. Made a real change from trying to breath through a hot a sweaty paper mask, it was free flowing and cool air even after an hour and a lot lighter than I thought it would be. Took a while to stop heavy breathing that I had to do with the paper masks and just breath normally. 10/10 Trend!

A lot of people look at the Airace and think it's going to be heavy, awkward and a pain to use with glasses but it's really not the case at all is it. I never do any woodworking without it now and even used it when doing some spring cleaning in a dusty storeroom.

Here's another 10/10 for it after using it for a while now.

One question though... when do you know to change the filter?

Sonic":b323zwv8 said:
I recently took note of favorable comments on this forum and bought an AirShield. Have used it for a couple of months, and it is my usual choice now. I found it was very difficult to get it to fit my head - if the headband is comfortable, the visor does not come down far enough for the fabric "gasket" to seal the bottom, so I have to tilt the headband forward.

I remember having similiar difficulties - until I realised that you pull the fabric gasket under you chin rather than have it rest against your face. The instructions aren't clear about this IIRC.

BC - I have a Airace too and you won't be disappointed I'm sure.

Cheers

Gidon

The problem I had is that I could not get the fabric seal down to my chin ! Let alone under it. Perhaps I have a long head (probably do).

Colin S

I've been lurking on this post for a little while, for me the Air Sheild was just too damn expensive, I did try one on today an found it a real fiddle, and a pain to get the gasket to seat properly.
Long story shortened, I bought an Air Ace and am very pleased with it too.
I have to admit to the same concerns as other posters "that it would be too bulky and/or too heavy", it is neither. The only weird thing that the mask does is make a ftrrrr, ftrrrr noise when you breath out!

10/10 for the Air Ace from Dicky Mint

John H asked - One question though... when do you know to change the filter?

Well I recently changed my filter when it was black on the outside. Don't know if that is correct. I think there should be a better way, what do other members (Who use Air Ace masks) do :?:

Losos":3dnu7ktr said:
John H asked - One question though... when do you know to change the filter?

Well I recently changed my filter when it was black on the outside. Don't know if that is correct. I think there should be a better way, what do other members (Who use Air Ace masks) do :?:

I haven't had mine long enough yet to need to change the filter...I guess when the air flow reduces significantly, as in it gets harder to breathe. Might not be easy to tell if the performance deteriorates gradually. I don't use mine enough to change the filter every month (as recommended with some filters) so I too am interested in what other users do.

cheers

George

Re: When to change the filters?

I bought one of these
PCapIP_sml.jpg

It has a removable guage that fits high up between the eyes, I tried it in place and its just a distraction, so I decided to use it occasionally just to test the filter then remove it when I need to wear it. It works when the filter start to block up the increase in vacuum fails to lift a ball within the guage, it quite simple. But as I've already said it's a distraction wearing it with the guage in place.

Vis. Airace filter: Not sure when to change it but the guy at Price Tools at the show said you can take a vacuum or extractor to the filter once or twice before discarding it. I am going to do that and go on the basis that when the filter starts to look too fluffy I will replace it.

Thanks for the info on changing the filters...

One bit of advice to all mask wearers... don't be a plonker like me. I cut a load of mdf and had finished... took the mask off and neighbour said "cor look at the dust on you" and I then shook my t-shirt and enveloped myself in the damn dust.. WITHOUT MY MASK ON! I then had to hold my breath and limp out of the dust cloud.

:oops:

I now am going to invest in a good apron! :lol:

I use one of these: http://www.rapidwelding.co.uk/899020 I know it's mega expensive but as I have to use the airpack with a Speedglas welding helmet at work it seemed silly not to splash the extra 80 quid out for the clear visor. It's wonderfully light, two speed fan, you can wear prescription specs, keeps me cool but far and away more important, it is as good a protection system you can get without wearing an aqualung.

Back