Respiratory protection, what do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderchad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been using the cheap cup masks for a while now and am beginning to really hate them. They get all hot and damp inside and after even a short while become really uncomfortable to wear. I do very little sanding but I am well aware that its the half hour or so after sanding that you have to keep wearing a mask as it takes a long time for the fine particles to clear from the air. Finishing is also a problem with those little cup masks because they don't do very much against the toxic oders of varnishes etc.

What do you use for protection and what are your experiences with your particular system? I ask because I have been looking around at other solutions like the Trend Airace and Airshield but so far the one Trend thing I have bought - the FastTrack sharpending thing - has really been dissapointing. I have also heard about washable masks but I am still trying to hunt them down. There are also the proper twin filter respirators that look like WWII gas masks which I would like to find out more about.

Cheers,

Chad.

i have found that the trend mask is ok, although not tried any of the
air masks,

i think the thing with the sharpening system is that it promises much,
but has too much clearance to work properly.

since i do a fair amount of mdf work, i find the darth vader,non air type mask fine.

paul :wink:

Chad
I have the Trend Airshield-it is a great product, well worth the (steepish) price. Have a search on Airshield-we had a fair bit of discussion on this (and alternatives) recently.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

I have a Powercap which I use for things where may face and eyes are at risk as well as my lungs, eg lathe work. but most of the time I use a 3M half face mask which can take different cartridges for eg dust, organic solvents etc. I always use this when using finishes. A major factor in choosing this particular mask was comfort for extended periods of use.

I use the Triton respirator which has ear muffs in addition to visor and air supply.
Still only available from Triton in the Netherlands, for some reason the English agent never imported perhaps they have another tie up which prevents them taking on this product?

Last week the amount of dust laying on the filter was enough to sow seeds for germination after a routing session on some sapele.

I use the decent quality P2 masks from APTC but I do have an ambient air extrator and three others which take care of most of the dust/shavings in the workshop - Rob

devonwoody":39fcbg0g said:
I use the Triton respirator which has ear muffs in addition to visor and air supply.
Still only available from Triton in the Netherlands, for some reason the English agent never imported perhaps they have another tie up which prevents them taking on this product?

Last week the amount of dust laying on the filter was enough to sow seeds for germination after a routing session on some sapele.

The Triton failed the CE test and should not be sold in Europe

Barry Burgess":runjo1hx said:
devonwoody":runjo1hx said:

The Triton failed the CE test and should not be sold in Europe

Barry I would not make an outright contradiction but the reparator is on the Triton netherlands web site under elekcta tools heading. Also I have been offered new batteries set here.

http://www.tritoneu.nl/

I've got the Trend Airace (half face mask) and other than looking like Darth it works well. I got it after getting a bad sinus infection after cutting mdf without one (I used to hate getting steamed up glasses using the cup masks) I couldn't afford the Airshield but the Airace works well and doesn't steam the glasses up.

Devonwoody - the Dutch site is an agent of Triton. - I spent alot of time with triton over this issue. It failed and they would not sell a mask so in the end I bought a Trend airshield.

I used the paper cup masks (several varieties, all promising to be better than the last) for several years. I did, however, find that I avoided using the mask because they were hot and sweaty and fogged up my specs - thus defeating the objective!

After much thought, discussion, and debate, I orderd a Trend Airshield. Unfortunately I found it too uncomfortable and sent it back. I figured my only other option was to try one of the twin filter (unpowered) masks. I bought a Roebuck mask on recommendation from someone working at George Higgins in Sidcup. I think it was about £25.

I wish I had done it sooner and not been distracted by the great promises of the Airshield versus the price. The Roebuck is cheaper (significantly!), and so much more comfortable - I forget to take it off/don't bother taking it off when I leave the workshop for periods.

The only warning I will issue, is that it does get condensation. It's not hot inside, just captures the moisture from breath. However, the shape of the mask means that the moisture stays away from your face. Oh, and finally... it works with a short beard too - absolutely no leakage.

Everyone is different and I fully accept that Airshield owners who get on with it would not swap for my Roebuck.

Hope that helps.

After reading numerous good reviews and comments on this forum I have ordered the Trend Airace...just waiting for it to be delivered. I hope it works as well as everyone says it does as I will be using a fair bit of MDF in the coming months.

cheers

George.

I don't think you will be dissapointed George... One thing though. I was wrong when I said you will look like Darth Vader... You will look more like the bad guy out of Knights of the Old Republic (a Star Wars game).

Just goes to show how good the Airace is... they are using it in a galaxy far, far away! :lol:

platinum.jpg

I'm glad so many people responded, it has given me a lot to think about. The Airshield seems really expensive even though I really like the idea of having eye protection to boot. I will look at the Airace but it does look massive and like it would interfere with eye glasses:

323773_xl.jpg

For finishing I have only ever used oils and waxes (liberon stuff) so have never really been bothered by chemicals, but now I am looking at some harsher stuff as I am planning a few exterior pieces.

builderchad":2wus4btg said:
...snip...
For finishing I have only ever used oils and waxes (liberon stuff) so have never really been bothered by chemicals, but now I am looking at some harsher stuff as I am planning a few exterior pieces.

The Trend Masks will not give you protection from chemicals, they are designed to control airborne dust only, if you want chemical protection then you must look at totally different animals that will take Absorbtion Cartridges designed to protect from the specific chemical involved.

Edit: In fact air fed dust masks of any manufacture that take the ambient air from you immediate area are more dangerous if used with harsh chemicals because they ensure you are force fed any fumes that are around.

Chemical protection is no problem if you use one of the twin filter masks referred to earlier - you can 'tune' the filter insert to suit use. I use one that cost (about) £25 for the mask itself and inserts are about£3-£7, depending on function. Dust filtration is - from memory - down to about 0.1 micron. Northern Ireland workers can get 'em from Nelson's in East Belfast. I have asthma and Hay Fever and neither is exacerbated by, for example, sanding teak while wearing this mask, then multiple coats and de-nibbing of tung oil. one word of warning, your eyes are still at risk AND you really do need to pat yourself down to remove dust on your clothing BEFORE you remove the mask. I've just writtenoff another vacuum, so at present, I'm power sanding and cutting/routing large jobs just outside the (shut) workshop door, then marching down the path a few paces to shake my clothing and thinnning hair clear of dust.

Barry.
That's perhaps why the triton has two different type filters on their respirator, its possible to place different specification filters inside the waist container after the air pump. Plus the usual type of material paper mask fitted externally.

Remember we dont all agree with the CE markings, if an item is marked up with only imperial measures and no millimetres mentioned it most probably would not get a CE label :) :) :roll: .
Nor do those saws that members import direct from the USA.

devonwoody":1hbnxygf said:
Barry.
That's perhaps why the triton has two different type filters on their respirator, its possible to place different specification filters inside the waist container after the air pump. Plus the usual type of material paper mask fitted externally.
Triton ran out of puff on the one hour test - nothing to do with the filters or imperial measures.
From what I have seen on the BB it is illegal for a commercial supplier to sell non CE goods (Scrit will be able to quote all the rules)

Yes it must have failed some test. But I am still not entirely happy that someone makes a CE mark decision that is not applicable world wide.
After all I still think the USA obviously have the best table saws but do not have the CE mark.

Back