Respiratory protection, what do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you use for protection and what are your experiences with your particular system?

best system I've found was to work with hand tools.. gives the ultimate in protection i.e. doesn't generate anything that needs filtering in the first place... no batteries to buy, no visors to de-steam, no filters to change anddddd... I can hear myself think when using em.. revolutionary or what.?? :wink:

Hi, just seen this. I also tried using the cheap disposables but they just don't work with specs. Looked at the airshield but the time between re- charges seemd very short (about an hour or so if I remember right) and didn't like the idea of carrying the weight of the batteries on my head .So I just carried on without using anything for a bit, until I copuldn't ignore any longer the allergic reaction to wood dust I was experiencing (ie blocked sinuses, bleeding nasal tubes). So, urged on by Mrs d I bought a 3M respirator. Managed to get it new for about £250 on eBay. Brilliant. Goes for about 8 hours between charges, doesn't fog your glasses, keeps you cool on hot days, no more allergy. Once you get used to the battery pack/air intake strapped to your bum you can forget you're wearing it (until you fart, that is..). Consumables (filters, replacement visors) are reasonably priced. As far as I can see, it's very similar to the Racal one. We all know that wood dust from machines can kill, so I think that for the price of a good hand plane it's a sound investment. Alternatively, you could buy the hand plane instead, sell off your machines and...., no not in the real world. Best wishes Bill

:cry: :D

Bill the Airace (half face mask) that a lot of us use is great with specs and light as anything... and only costs around £30. A lot more cost effective imho.

Now this respirator you have... do you have a picture of it as I'm intrigued??

Midnight":1wtrlkbm said:
Best system I've found was to work with hand tools. Gives the ultimate in protection, i.e. doesn't generate anything that needs filtering in the first place... no batteries to buy, no visors to de-steam, no filters to change anddddd... I can hear myself think when using em.. revolutionary or what.?? :wink:
The Neanders Strike Back, eh?.......... :wink: Nice to live in a world of hores-drawn carraiges, steam trains and beer at 2d a pint..... But sadly if I worked at that speed I'd never get owt done, or make a living, so...

Neomorph":1wtrlkbm said:
I cut a load of MDF and had finished... took the mask off and neighbour said "cor look at the dust on you" and I then shook my t-shirt and enveloped myself in the damn dust.. WITHOUT MY MASK ON! I then had to hold my breath and limp out of the dust cloud.
At the end of the typical working day when I've been machining MDF I routinely blow off my clothes and hair with a diffuse nozzle on the air line. The missus sometimes still insists that I almost strip before coming into the house - alright at this time of year, but not so pleasant in January :roll:

Maybe Mike is right after all :lol:

Scrit

OK, so as this is my 1000th post I'll try to keep it informative (fat chance I hear some cries....)

I've used a Racal Airmaster for years. It's a powered airfed visor rather like the Rapid that Jeff Hartley referred to with the 2-speed motor/filter pack clipped onto a belt and held round your back. It generates a constant flow of air from my brow down over my chin and out when in use. Mine has a flip-up visor so I can flip it open to speak if I need to. I chose that because at the time I was not just a speccky wotsit, but I was also a bearded weirdie, too. That meant that not only did my glasses steam up all the time with conventional masks but I was constantly breathing in stuff around the edges of the mask and it was doing me no good at all. It was during this period that I discovered that I was sensitised to mahogany, so something had to be done. This is hardly a cheap option, and it can restrict what you are able to do, but it is extremely effective. IOh, and it has a built-in safety shiled - another point for a spectacle wearer like me

A plus point of a fed air respirator like the Airmaster is that fitted, with active carbon filters as well as particulate filter pads it is really good for spraying. Swap the carbon filters out and install the standard P2s (I think, may have that wrong, doh) and the mask is fine for dusty work where the carbon filters are (expensive) overkill. This means that one mask, with appropriate filters, will cover many of your needs for woodworking and finishing (assuming that you spray). I agree with what CHJ says about these bled air units for use with 2-pack catalysed lacquers, but the cost of fitting three filters in-line plus the inlet piping to my compressor means that I'm happier just finding alternative materials to spray...... At least for now.

As for when the filters are going - I run my particulate masks for no more than 15 or 16 hours and keep a log of usage (a H&S requirement) so vacuuming out or air blowing doesn't come into it. The active carbon filters tend to be used only for spraying, are kept inside a couple of plastic bags between sessions and are replaced at the firtst hint of being able to smell any of the finishing materials. That's the only way I know I'm afraid.

I've tried the PowerCap and to me they seem a bit sort of front top heavy - I'd be concerned about them getting in the way if I were on the lathe, for example. But I've met people who don't like having a belt with a power pack on, and like the PowerCap, so it's probably what suits you personally.

I've have changed my approach over the years, though, and I'm now trying to pick-up as much dust as possible at the source of production and thereby reduce the need to wear a heavy mask at all. I've also gone over to using Festool and other power tools which can be hooked up to a vacuum cleaner (I find the clip on bags useless a lot of the time). The result is that I wear a mask less frequently when machining now, it all depends on what's being done and how much is escaping into the my atmosphere. I'm currently toying with the idea of fitting a downdraught table onto my stroke sander (the dirtiest machine in the workshop) and of building a downdraught sanding table (mk 2 prototype nearing completion as I write....). I'd love a wide belt sander and a big fine dust extractor for it - but my budget wouldn't!

Scrit

The Neanders Strike Back, eh?.......... Nice to live in a world of hores-drawn carraiges, steam trains and beer at 2d a pint..... But sadly if I worked at that speed I'd never get owt done, or make a living, so...

Sometimes not doing something for a living can have distinct advantages... more fool me if I dinna take advantage of em... ;)

as for working aat speed.. I'll bet I can get from 0-knackered wayyyyy faster than any Normite.... :p

The way H&S are going in 10 years or less we will be required to wear Kevlar armour covered in Nomex and have a self contained rebreather to work in a workshop... :lol:

Mind you I'll say this... since I got my Airace I haven't had half the breathing probs I used to get after working on wood , sanding etc. I just used to think it was only a bit of dust and wouldn't hurt and when I did use the cheapo cup masks they never fitted right and did more harm than good (steamed glasses while using a circular saw is not healthy... I had to replace a load of decking planks after I didn't see the straight edge had shifted due to the misted specsand the trimming cut took too much off!)

I'm happy to say I have an apron now that I can leave in the shed. Unfortunately its only a cheapo one and am thinking of getting a better one... just dunno where. Any ideas?

The way H&S are going in 10 years or less we will be required to wear Kevlar armour covered in Nomex and have a self contained rebreather to work in a workshop...

Ahem...

there's always hand tools.. ;)

Hey-the way Health and Safety is going ALL sharp objects are going to be banned!!! :twisted:
We'll have to take it "underground" :lol:
Just had a nasty visions of "The Worm That Turned" meets Galoots...... :roll:
Philly :D

Philly":14b9oe12 said:
Just had a nasty visions of "The Worm That Turned" meets Galoots...... :roll:
:lol: Will you be swapping your apron for something more flowery, Phil? :lol:

For the bemused, it's a Two Ronnies serial, where the men are all stay-at-home house husbands in dresses and flowered pinnies and the women are running the country in jack boots and leather outfits (you can tell a bloke wrote it, can't you? :roll: )Diana Dors had a memorable role - but then wasn't she always memorable?

Cheers, Alf

Alf
Wasn't Diana Dors the Prime Minister?? Where ever did they get such a crazy idea??? :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D
Showing his age.....

Hey-the way Health and Safety is going ALL sharp objects are going to be banned!!!
We'll have to take it "underground"

naaaaa... simpler answer is to herd together all the PC girls blouses pushin for this kinda mess and clap the lot e=of em in public stocks till they learn how rediculous they really are....

I got patience Philly... I got patience...

sides.... I reckon what they see while standin waiting for their turn will have just as much effect...if not moreso..

Latest posts

Back