Replacing bearings on an old planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_Chavez

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently adopted an old 6" Warco planer (jointer), (which is a clone of the standard 6" Delta joiner), and after a good clean it seems to be working just fine if not for the horrible racket made by the bearings.
A quick inspection revealed that one of the cutter head bearings and the motor bearings need to be replaced.
I took the planer apart, but would appreciate any advice on how to get the bearings off the shafts. Is this a job for a bearing puller or can I do it without one? If I need a puller, would the cheapest one off ebay do the job?

Also, once the bearings are off, how do I put the new ones on the shafts?

Thanks!

Can you drill a hole in a block of hardwood to take it off?
Pressure on the inside race of the bearing, might need a pipe to push on the block of hardwood.
With the new bearing, the inner race should be the only pressed against to get it onto the shaft.
Jack English machines, the Wadkin temple dude, has a good tutorial or two on youtube.
Good luck
Tom

A bearing puller would be best, a cheap as chips one of an auction site is adequate and will do the job. I would first soak the bearing and shaft in diesel overnight before trying to pull it off. The diesel will penetrate and help to get it off.

Large Bearings are heated before they are put on, smaller ones can be tapped on with say a block of wood with a hole drilled in the centre. Apart from bearings of say an 1" in diameter I pop the bearing in a plastic bag and stick it into a pan of boiling water ensuring the bearing does not touch the bottom. I leave it to cook for about 10 ~ 15minutes and then with suitable gloves very quickly push it back on the shaft. It will simply slide to where you want it...... up you have to be very quick as the bearing will suddenly grab the shaft when it starts to cool. You can use boiling water as the bearing will be rated at a temperature above 100C

Some people freeze the shaft as well / instead of heating the bearing. Placing the shaft over night in the freezer......however this can cause the shaft to flash with rust due to condensation.

Back