How to get stubborn bearings off bandsaw guide posts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice saddles, i prefer the slimmer type myself.
I went through about half a dozen types before settling on those. It doesn't help that I'm quite overweight, so there's quite a bit of 'force' on the ol' sitbones :)

I went through about a dozen saddles until I changed my shorts to Assos bib's and a Selle Italia Flite Titanium saddle from there I never looked back, so much more comfortable, could not believe a blade type saddle would be better than the wide bottom sort, but that was a few thousand miles ago and prior to getting Arthritis in my hands and feet, still have my bike's including a tandem trike, they don't get much use now unfortunately.

Finding shorts/bibs to fit has proven to be a mission impossible for me so I've had to make do with the few items I could find. Hopefully as I lose some timber, that'll become less of an issue. That said, the SQLabs saddles I have aren't that much wider than some of the more 'sportier' saddles I tried. After measuring my sit-bones, I only have a small amount of excess either side.

The thing that seems to really work for me with the SQLabs saddles isn't so much the shape, but rather the rubber mount at the back. It allows the saddle to naturally move with the hips, rather being an unmoving platform. It was a revelation to me -- especially on the static trainer (though also good on the road/trail). Also, the lower nose generates far less pressure on more sensitive parts of the anatomy, something I struggled with on other designs, especially those with relief cutouts; they actually seemed to make things worse.

I appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately hey don't have anything that fits. I've been down this road many times before. The cycling garment industry essentially ignores obese people, which feels like a particularly cruel situation given cycling is one of a few things that suits overweight people to get fit and leaner. Besides, I'm not so much of an enthusiast that I could face spending £250 on a pair of bibs; that's quite a way out of my budget. I'll get by with regular shorts and some long underwear until I fit into the cycling world's idea of acceptable size. :)

But back on topic, the new bearings arrived. They seem very good despite not being a top brand. I'm not going to bother to install them today; it's far too hot in the garage and I have no energy after very little sleep. I'll get to it tomorrow, along with installing the 16amp socket and firing it up for the first time.

@CMax any type of cycling designed seat padding would be better than trying to get by with shorts and underpants, you don't have to spend £250.00 Assos are the RR of cycling clothing, most professional cyclists use them with their own sponsored company logo sewn on.

Hah, I hear you on the lycra. I don't even like wearing it, letting alone inflicting that on others. Let me know how you get on with those if you do go for the plunge.

Back on topic again... I put the bearings on without any hassle at all. Straight out of the freezer, the two longer shafts took the bearings with just finger pressure. The three shorter ones needed a bit more persuasion: a socket used as a drift in my vice. Barely took any pressure. I think having the shafts in the freezer for two days was perfect.

Thank you for all the suggestions and information, everyone. I'm well pleased that this was an easy job in the end, and I got to learn a few new things. Win/win. :)

IMG_2201.JPG

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately hey don't have anything that fits. I've been down this road many times before. The cycling garment industry essentially ignores obese people, which feels like a particularly cruel situation given cycling is one of a few things that suits overweight people to get fit and leaner. Besides, I'm not so much of an enthusiast that I could face spending £250 on a pair of bibs; that's quite a way out of my budget. I'll get by with regular shorts and some long underwear until I fit into the cycling world's idea of acceptable size. :)
‘Fat Lad At The Back’ is a whole brand of cycling kit created by and for the less-svelte rider.
I’m lucky enough not to need to know their prices but I still buy cheaper kit from the likes of Wiggle/DHB and even Aldi. You don’t need to look like the Michelin Man in Lycra either - you can buy padded pants to wear under regular shorts.

‘Fat Lad At The Back’ is a whole brand of cycling kit created by and for the less-svelte rider.
I’m lucky enough not to need to know their prices but I still buy cheaper kit from the likes of Wiggle/DHB and even Aldi. You don’t need to look like the Michelin Man in Lycra either - you can buy padded pants to wear under regular shorts.
I had a look at them, but they're certainly not affordable, which is to be expected given their niche market.

That said, I'm doing okay without padded pants. Due to my lack of fitness I'm not exactly in the saddle for hours on end. But if that changes, then I'll return to my search.

Back