Replacement rifing knife for Xcalibur table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delbert

Reaction score
Good morning

I am hoping someone may be able to help me?

I have an xcalibur table saw which has a fixed "Rifing Knife" (if that how its spelt?)

Anyway the crux of my query is this.
The rifing knife that comes with my table saw if fixed and a little awkward to setup each time I have to remove it and put it back on again.

When I purchased my table saw I also got an instructional DVD, presented by some American expert as a refresher to the skills and safety stuff I learned back at college.

On his table saw he had a type of “pull up/push down” rifing knife.

Does anyone know where I can investigate alternative rifing knives? Or where to look, what to search for, where to go?

I would really appreciate your help as I have spent hours looking on the Internet and failed to find anything.

Regards.

Delbert
Why do you need to remove and replace it at all? Does it not move up and down with the blade? Mine does.

It's true that the riving knife / blade guard is not the most cutting edge design (is yours the yellow crown guard or an enclosing transparent guard?), but it works as it is intended to.

As it happens, I've been thinking of making a SUVA-style guard, and I've made a riving knife out of sheet steel, sawing, filing and drilling by hand, but I've not yet used it. One of those tuit jobs.

I doubt if you'll find anything off-the-shelf.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":1kljn5k4 said:
Delbert
Why do you need to remove and replace it at all? Does it not move up and down with the blade? Mine does.

It's true that the riving knife / blade guard is not the most cutting edge design (is yours the yellow crown guard or an enclosing transparent guard?), but it works as it is intended to.

As it happens, I've been thinking of making a SUVA-style guard, and I've made a riving knife out of sheet steel, sawing, filing and drilling by hand, but I've not yet used it. One of those tuit jobs.

I doubt if you'll find anything off-the-shelf.

Cheers
Steve

Steve

Thank for your reply.

I have the Xcalibur TC10RAS 10" table saw from woodfords.
http://www.woodfordwm.co.uk/acatalog/Table_Saws1.html

My rifing knife (Splitter) is fixed, it does not go up or down, only tilts with the blade and it is a complete pain to remove and then even more of a pain to put it back in and re-alighing it.

Some operations need it removed, yes I know the risks.

As said I have a DVD in which they speak about other rifing knife options, the one he uses is an after market add on.

It is nice as he can just push it down and out of the way when needed and to use it again he simply pulls it back up again.

Really neat idea and dos not need it to be realligned.

Maybe I will have to make one but was hoping to not to have to spend the time.

Regarding blade guards, yes I have a clear plastic one, it is good and functional however an alternative rifing knife would have to use an alternatave guard.

Some of those liks above show riving knives with open slots. I thought they had to have closed slots to stop them being fired towards me like an arrow? Or it it just a recommendation?

I have a question about dust extraction on tablesaws, but I think it's as relevant to post it here as to start a new thread. I've not used a blade guard with DX and it seems to me that the outlet for the ait is in absolutely the worst possible position. Just how much difference does it make. I would have thought that the optime DX position was at the front just UNDER the table rather than 3/4 of the way round. OK I admit it's not easy to collect there.

Just wondered aloud.
CHeers
Steve

Hi Steve

Steve Maskery":3cia9e2z said:
I would have thought that the optime DX position was at the front just UNDER the table ....

I think you'll find that Jet have the trademark on that one. :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Back