Replace bandwheel tyre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just needed to replace the tyres on my Record BS14 so hopefully the general idea should still hold true. I treated it a bit like getting a tyre back onto a bicycle wheel.

0 - Leave the tyre somewhere warm to soften up.
1 - Unplug it ;)
2 - Take the blade off
3 - take the old tyre off (You can probably carefully cut it off with a stanley knife
4 - get some cable ties.
5 - lay the tire on the top of the wheel and cable tie it to the wheel (I did it just to one side of each spoke on the wheel. The cable ties do not need to be tight, they just need to be around the top of the wheel to stop the tyre slipping off to one side.
6 - turn the wheel one spoke at a time and stretch the tyre onto the wheel and then apply another cable tie. I managed to get 4 out of the 6 spokes done this way before it was too tight to pull.
7 - (This is the bit that got me mildly rebuked on the forum as being dubious) take a couple of flat pieces of something strong (I used flat bladed screwdrivers) and use one to stretch the rest of the tire down to the bottom rim, and then a second to lever another section of tyre over the wheel. Be careful doing this as you can a) damage the rim of the wheel with the screwdrivers if you are not careful and b) wear safety glasses in case one of the screwdrivers slips and flies up.

Once the tyre is on, carefully release all of the ties and adjust the tyre so that it is in the middle of the wheel and it is not stretched out on one side of the wheel and relaxed on the other.

I am sure that other people will be able to suggest a better technique than using screwdrivers as levers, but the cable tie trick really helped and stopped the tyre falling off as I tried to stretch it.

Glad you got it sorted Dave but I need just to ask how old the bandsaw is and how you rate it. I'm just about to order one and thought I'd better just check that you've been happy with it.

Thanks,

Back