Removing old paint spill from driveway

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No idea how long its been there or what type of paint it is, but it's about 3ft square and in some places is pretty thick, like 3/4 mm.

I've been trying to avoid chemicals or anything that's going to cause a mess as it's right next to my neighbour. So first tried bashing it with a pointed implement in the hope it'll crack and peel off. This has worked quite well in some places but I'll be here till next year doing it, and it doesn't work on the thin bits.

Next I'm going to have to try chemicals. But I fear it's going to spread and make an even bigger patch! .. I've read that I can create a slurry from paint thinner and sand, spread it over and then sweep up when dry. Hopefully that'll solve the spreading issue, but I can't see it working too well to be honest. We'll see.

The only other thing I'm aware of is renting some kind of blaster, but that'll be my last resort.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Not sure if this would work or not transatlantic, but if you've got one, it might be a good idea to try the high-pressure lance on your pressure washer. I've always been surprised at how effective my Karcher is at clearing all sorts of muck off all sorts of surfaces.

Due to neighbour proximity you'd have to be careful with your aim though - even put a thick plastic sheet over the fence or whatever - and also make sure the tip of the lance is V close to the driveway surface.

But it might work, and it's non-chemical of course.

If you don't already have a pressure washer, this might be a good excuse to buy one to try on this job. It took me a long time to become converted, but since I bought mine perhaps 5 years ago, though I don't use it on a daily basis exactly, I have been glad to have it handy on more occasions than I first imagined I would.

Just a thought.

AES

I forgot to mention, tried with the pressure washer, but it barely helped. And that was with the most powerful attachment right up close.

Isn't turps just as good as a paint thinner?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I purchased a product from Brewers (paint and decorating merchant), I'm away at the mo or I'd look in lock up to see what it's called, I think it was called Peel Away its a non toxic formulation we used it to remove several layers of paint ( in some places up to 12 layers, it took a couple of applications) , very gloppy stuff which you apply thickly and cover with a grease proof type of paper supplied with it, leave 24 hrs and hey presto back to original surface.

How about burning it off with a blow torch or one of those flame throwers for removing weeds?

JohnPW":i87he1a9 said:
How about burning it off with a blow torch or one of those flame throwers for removing weeds?

Use the torch to soften the paint and get a paint scraper under the edge and peel it off, working your way around it.

Brian

>turps should work, why not use that?

I don't think so; the OP stated that the paint was old. Turps is a diluent for paint, but not a solvent.

The angle grinder didn't really work, just melted the paint and clogged up the brush. I also tried some paint remover from Wilko, didn't do a thing, was still rock hard after leaving for the stated time. I think it's just too thick.

Going to try a heat gun next, as I can borrow one from a friend, but not holding much hope.

I did have a look at that peel away stuff, bit it's mighty expensive if it doesn't help. I guess I could try one of the smaller pots.

a heat gun should work, once it starts bubbling then move slowly away to put the hot spot elsewhere.

scrape it away whilst it is still warm (not hot) so a few seconds after moving and should be fine, but beware that the paint will sting if it hits skin when hot and really smells, and wear eye protection, sounds extreme but you don't want a flake of hot paint flicking up, and the flakes seem to be razor sharp as well!

for thicker areas this will need repeated attempts, and when you cant scrape as it is too thin then try chemicals and wash away.

EssexChris":xz7ow6r0 said:
Is it definitely paint? could it be resin or a self levelling compound?

Not sure really. It doesn't smell like normal house paint, smells 'plasticy' (but only when you start to chip it), and chips like plastic. The old owner was into fixing cars if thats anything to go by?

Also - I tried the heat gun. That didn't seem to work either. It took for ever to heat up (like 30s or so) and it didn't peel/scrape off at all easily. It's very much like a plastic. Hitting it with a sharp instrument to chip bits off is still the best method so far :( .... just so slow

Had something similar in an old workshop, in the end just had to sit on the floor and chip away with a Bolster and Club Hammer, lots of little bits about 6mm at a time, if you chiseled straight down would chip straight off, more effective than trying to scrape it off.

If you have or know someone with a compressor, try using a needle gun. Used that on many jobs when working at Rosyth dockyard on ship rufurbishment to remove 1/2 inch thick paint at times

Thanks for the suggestions. Don't know anyone with a compressor or needle gun unfortunately.

..guess I'll carry on chipping :(

The annoying thing is that to produce the required force to chip the paint, the little bits go flying several feet in all directions (in my garden and my neighbours), absolute PITA!!! Gonna have to come up with somthing to enclose the workspace to catch them. A box or teepee type thing. The last thing I want is millions of little bits of plastic all over the grass and neighbours property.

May invest in a Scutch Hammer, may make it easier

Latest posts

Back