Hello from Devon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankendoodle65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking here for years, I've read pretty much everything and learned a lot from you all.
I've never posted because I don't really feel I have much to say, I'd describe myself as an enthusiastic amateur mainly making fitted furniture for my house and a few bits for friends and family.

I'm currently having a bit of a reshuffle in the shed and have a few bits to sell and thought I'd give it a go in the Market Place here, just thought it would be polite to introduce myself and say hello first!

I've attached a couple of photos of things I've made, first is an alcove cupboard for my sister in law (I fitted this over a year ago and she still hasn't painted it)

IMG-20210427-WA0007.jpg

And next is a fitted birch ply wardrobe with sliding doors for my next door neighbour, the only photo I have is before applying finish to the drawer fronts so you just need to pretend they match the rest.

20211215_170951.jpg

Not bad for an enthusiastic amateur I hope you'll agree! I'll try to remember to take photos and run a project log here next time I've got something on. For now though it's back to the day job, I run a fudge shop of all things!

Connor

If you had not said you were an amateur I don’t think that many members would be able to come to that conclusion- they look amazing and I think you should drop the term amateur as you are clearly above that in terms of your skills . Don’t put yourself down and you should be very proud of your efforts.

Thanks for the kind words Bingy man, it's appreciated. I'll just clarify I mean amateur in the sense that I've had no formal training or tuition, it's all stuff I've picked up from reading online or figuring out as I go. I didn't mean to come across as putting myself down, just an attempt to be light hearted and casual that got lost somewhere between my brain and the internet. Truth be told that's why I don't use forums or social media, it's so easy to misunderstand each other that I just tend not to bother!

Thanks for the kind words Bingy man, it's appreciated. I'll just clarify I mean amateur in the sense that I've had no formal training or tuition, it's all stuff I've picked up from reading online or figuring out as I go. I didn't mean to come across as putting myself down, just an attempt to be light hearted and casual that got lost somewhere between my brain and the internet. Truth be told that's why I don't use forums or social media, it's so easy to misunderstand each other that I just tend not to bother!
No worries I get you now - I’ve never had any formal training either I’m basically self taught and I’ve picked up a lot of tips from professionals along the way . This is the 1st forum I’ve ever joined and generally I don’t do social media. However I do find the majority of the members on this forum are more than happy to share their knowledge and if I’m honest a few are a little o t t but we are all different and have our own opinions of how it should be done . Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. 🤗🤗

Thanks Bingy man, I've been around here for years just never posted, so I know how generous and helpful everyone is around here. I've got no plans to start a sharpening thread anytime soon though, that can get ugly! 😂
I've got some shuffling about to do in the workshop over the next couple of weeks (small space, too many tools, familiar to most people here I bet!) So there won't be anything exciting to share, but in the new year I'll be making a cupboard/display unit for my fudge shop so I'll try to post some pictures of that.

Thanks, I'm lucky to have about 3.4x5m (sorry too tired to work that out in feet now! 😂). Trouble is after I built the shed and moved out of the spare room, my tools seemed to expand and I still don't have a lot of room! I try to avoid American YouTubers but their giant home workshops make me feel a little green sometimes...

Welcome Connor,

Nice stuff - Like you, I'm not formally trained either - many of us are hobby wood workers and Devon appears to have quite an enclave of them. Where abouts in Devon are you?

Thanks Bingy man, I've been around here for years just never posted, so I know how generous and helpful everyone is around here. I've got no plans to start a sharpening thread anytime soon though, that can get ugly! 😂
I've got some shuffling about to do in the workshop over the next couple of weeks (small space, too many tools, familiar to most people here I bet!) So there won't be anything exciting to share, but in the new year I'll be making a cupboard/display unit for my fudge shop so I'll try to post some pictures of that.
Whatever you do don't fudge it!!🤣🤣🤣

Welcome Connor,

Nice stuff - Like you, I'm not formally trained either - many of us are hobby wood workers and Devon appears to have quite an enclave of them. Where abouts in Devon are you?
Do we get a discount?!!

Dovetail20?!!!

Thanks ian33a, I'm just on the edge of Dartmoor, not far from Plymouth.

Hi Jameshow, I was wondering when I'd get a fudge joke, I'm just glad it's not the usual one about fudge packers! 🙄

Thanks ian33a, I'm just on the edge of Dartmoor, not far from Plymouth.

Hi Jameshow, I was wondering when I'd get a fudge joke, I'm just glad it's not the usual one about fudge packers! 🙄

Not too far from where I was born then .... Plymstock.

I'm now overlooking the northern edge of Dartmoor - when I can see it through the rain, that is!

Thanks, I'm lucky to have about 3.4x5m (sorry too tired to work that out in feet now! 😂). Trouble is after I built the shed and moved out of the spare room, my tools seemed to expand and I still don't have a lot of room! I try to avoid American YouTubers but their giant home workshops make me feel a little green sometimes...
Another native Devonian here. Devon is a large county so that is one of the reasons there are so many posters from here plus the retired grockles.

I am sure we could have a long debate about what an amateur is. I personally think it is just about pay. I think the quality of your work is more about experience and knowledge. The more you use a tool the better you get but if you do not have the knowledge gained by others you will reinvent the wheel. A professional will put in more hours so gain experience quicker and they will gain knowledge from the people they are working with. We can gain knowledge here but is a lot harder than in person.

Another native Devonian here. Devon is a large county so that is one of the reasons there are so many posters from here plus the retired grockles.

I am sure we could have a long debate about what an amateur is. I personally think it is just about pay. I think the quality of your work is more about experience and knowledge. The more you use a tool the better you get but if you do not have the knowledge gained by others you will reinvent the wheel. A professional will put in more hours so gain experience quicker and they will gain knowledge from the people they are working with. We can gain knowledge here but is a lot harder than in person.
Not forgetting that an experienced amateur can often turn out better work than a professional simply because they are not constrained by the commercial/time pressure.

@johna.clements that could be a fun discussion for the off topic forum, I know there's a fair share of professionals around here, but it'll be interesting to see how everyone else describes themselves. I feel terms like "amateur" "hobbyist" and "DIYer" all probably mean different things to different people!

@HamsterJam that's a good point! In my case note how I showed the things I made for other people, I cut a lot more corners when I make things for myself, and nobody needs to see the state of my workshop furniture 😂 I get a lot of satisfaction knowing I've made something decent for a friend or family member, and if they happen to contribute a little to the tool fund then all the better!

Back