Removing drill bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hemsby":18kqy0ws said:
Just a thought :idea: . If you know anybody with a centre lathe it would be easy to hold the shank of your chuck in the lathe and using a slightly smaller drill (to avoid touching the lathe chuck jaws) the broken drill should collapse and release from your drill chuck. The shanks of even HSS drills are not hardened

Thats far more civilised than getting the grinder out!

Wang the clamps on and have a squeeze - go on, you know you want to. Get a grip boy :lol: - (poor effort at sash clamp gripping chuck joke ) :p

ColeyS1":2ncv0979 said:
Wang the clamps on and have a squeeze - go on, you know you want to. Get a grip boy :lol: - (poor effort at sash clamp gripping chuck joke ) :p

I have been trying, honest (homer) In fact I gripped so tight that my new Forge Steel drill vice snapped it's base. What a recommendation!

Hemsby":1bu0vffw said:
Just a thought :idea: . If you know anybody with a centre lathe it would be easy to hold the shank of your chuck in the lathe and using a slightly smaller drill (to avoid touching the lathe chuck jaws) the broken drill should collapse and release from your drill chuck. The shanks of even HSS drills are not hardened

As impatient as ever, I started drilling into it last night using my hand drill. I have a good feeling about this.....

byyt":1zz2gpce said:
ColeyS1":1zz2gpce said:

I have been trying, honest (homer) In fact I gripped so tight that my new Forge Steel drill vice snapped it's base. What a recommendation!
Explain where I recommended using a forge steel drill vice ? If you can't follow written instruction, as well as having a picture to follow I don't see how you can blame me for doing something I didn't recommend. Hope you manage to fix it, looking forward to see who you blame next ;)

ColeyS1":1lq7z78s said:
byyt":1lq7z78s said:
ColeyS1":1lq7z78s said:

Explain where I recommended using a forge steel drill vice ? If you can't follow written instruction, as well as having a picture to follow I don't see how you can blame me for doing something I didn't recommend. Hope you manage to fix it, looking forward to see who you blame next ;)

I meant no offence oh gripped one. I meant that I had this mishap, before I even started to contemplate your plan, never mind execute it!

Thanks everyone. The offending bit is out! In the end the suggestion of drilling it out worked. I did it with a hand held though! Putting it through its paces, it seems to be working fine.....

Attachments

• WP_20150102_001.jpg
    WP_20150102_001.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 304
Back