remote switches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltrout512

Established Member
Reaction score
Last night decided to order magnetic switch and multiple remote control from axminster. Having tried to locate it on the web even with order number it still didn't come up. Sent e-mail to help line and had a reply back that they no longer stock such item. Does anyone know where I can obtain such a unit. I have had a look on RS web site but have not had any luck.

Built mine myself, although to be fair my local electrical shop did the technical stuff and supplied the bits, I just put it together in a box and faffed around with the microswitches on the blast gates. It isn't quite as slick looking as a bought kit, but the whole lot cost less than £50.

folks, forgive my intrusion but I need to ask...

I am about to set up my workshop and need to get it right first time (can't afford any mistakes), so am interested in this thread. I am presuming that you guys are talking about using the switches to open and close blast gates on an extraction system. Is this correct?

Thanks folks

Neil

Not exactly, on my system the extractor is switched remotely by opening the blast gate, rather than the magnetic sensors of the now discontinued Axminster system.

A small micro switch attached to the blast gate is arranged to complete a circuit on the low voltage (in my case 24v provided by a doorbell transformer in the same box) side of a relay, which in turn swiches on the extractor. When the blast gate is closed the circuit is opened, and the extractor is turned off. Using bell wire, all the blast gates on the system have micro switches connected in parallel so that the system operates from any of the take off points.

Here's the inside of the control box, the 2 white wires in the connector block (top left) are the contacts for the low tension circuit.
IMG_1995.jpg

and here's the front. The socket on the front is switched by the relay and is where the extractor plugs in. The whole lot is connected to the mains via the plug on the flylead.
IMG_1996.jpg

and here's the blast gate with microswitch:
IMG_2046.jpg

I attached the switches with small brackets made from aluminium. By drilling a hole in the moving plate the armature is allowed enough movement to release the switch when the blastgate is closed.
IMG_2049.jpg

Its all a little "Heath-Robinson", and I don't suppose for a minute it complies with half the rules and regulations needed for any kind of commercial situation. But the circuit was designed by a very competant electrician, and was put together carefully by yours truly. I'm completely confident of it's safety, it works brilliantly, and cost me next to nothing - about £25 for the control box, plus a roll of bell wire and a bunch of microswitches from Maplins at about £2 each.

Don't know if it's quite what you are after and not so slick or professional, but £15 to £20 in Maplins or B&Q and similar will pick up a remote control and 3 or 4 receiver units.

Just plug the appliance into a receiver then into the mains, and the control is used to switch on/off from anywhere around the workshop. Works brilliantly, as long as you don't lose the remote :lol:

I have two seperate extractors and the air cleaner connected up and it makes a huge difference.

Cheers, Paul :D

mark

that looks a great system been after one for ages, would you be able to give us the part numbers of the bits you used, think i've found the correct bits at Maplin but just want to be sure

if i have any trouble making it up would you be able to pass on a simple wiring diagram

thanks

alan

My simple system has extraction in garage (table saw) and the seperate shop but the extractor is in an external enclosure so i use a lidl remote and wireless 13amp socket (nvr bypassed) to fire it up where ever i am. just have to remember to shut the gates after use, i also use the same system for the compressor.

alan wells":743h4gz0 said:
mark

that looks a great system been after one for ages, would you be able to give us the part numbers of the bits you used, think i've found the correct bits at Maplin but just want to be sure

if i have any trouble making it up would you be able to pass on a simple wiring diagram

thanks

alan

The main bits, the relay and transformer, were supplied and wired up by the brilliant little independant electrical outlet down the road. They came like this (including the sketch of how to finish it off)
IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

so all I had to do was finish it off with the socket outlet (I used a single rather than the double in the pic), the flylead and plug, and fit it into the box.
In case you can't read the numbers on these scaled down pics, the relay is an RS item 349-327, and the transformer is 805-675, also RS.
Here's the funny bit; I think he did something tricky with the transformer 'cos it's a 12v item, but the relay says 24v. I think I remember him saying something about "double wiring" the transformer but by that point he'd long since lost me.

It really is incredibly clever and simple to use and because each gate turns an extractor on or off, you can't forget to shut a gate.

genius.gif

Mark. The transformer has two separate 12 volt windings, by wiring them together in series you get 24 volts. Just like connecting two 12 volt batteries together.

Roy.

Update, I went to B&Q and yes what a result sold as a pack of 3 plugs and a remote for just short of £20. They say they can handle 3000 wats each plug, but I don't need that or would think of using anything of that wattage through them. Anyway all set up and works real good. Glad axminster don't sell the one I wanted because I've saved a mass of money. You can even expand the amount of plugs with still the one remote. Ummmm what can I remote next !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back