NVR switch and remote control

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi previously i have had a remote switch wired into an old dust extractor, that allowed me to switch on and off the extractor but still having the protection of the NVR.
At the weekend i purchased a new Dust extractor and dont want to invalidate the warranty by permanently fitting a remote inside the unit.
Does anyone know of any plug in remotes that will work and still allow the NVR to work as well. Dust extractor is an Axminster

Anything that cuts the power before the NVR will release the switch into safe mode.
Thats the whole point of them.

If you know what youre doing with the wiring, just wire your old system in with a view to being able to take it out again without leaving evidence.

Hi Bob, hope you are keeping well during these times?
Thanks for the response, i was hoping that a plug in 13 amp remote would work but if i remember when we first tried this with the old one, once you activated the stop on the remote fob, to restart you needed to go back to the extractor and reset the NVR. My mate who is a electronics wizard built me a box which he wired into the NVR that stopped me having to go back to the NVR when the remote was used to switch off. He also wired it up so that the NVR worked as it should with power cuts etc. Trouble i have is he is in the vulnerable category and cant come over, so was hoping if anyone knew a way round. Guess i might just have to walk and turn it on and off for now

The back of the NVR generally has 4 contacts, 2 positive and 2 negative - if you can identify them (it usually says it on the NVR) then you can link them through and put your NVR / remote somewhere else.

49825642997_beb0b7eb2a.jpg

small contact is the auxilliary (for an indicator)

Safety issue is that you might be able / better putting an isolator in the +ve feed so that if you need to do something on the fan then no one else can turn it on remotely whilst you have your fingers in the workings.

Please ensure that what you do is safe- the NVR is there for a good reason!

I am reasonably well, thanks. being over 70 and having a mild breathing disorder (me konk dont work :roll: :shock: ) I am fully isolated, but also being anti social, its not a big deal to me. 8) 8) 8)

Have we had this conversation before? I know there was one thread, just too old to remember if it was with you or not. :roll:

I have mine wired for remote switching. The NVR has a live and neutral in (leave them alone)
The NVR has a live and neutral to the motor. I have intercepted the live to the motor, and run wires to remote switches at each end of my workshop and then back to the motor wire inside the control box.
I use light switches wired the same as staircase lighting where the one upstairs is the opposite position the one downstairs.

I still have to switch the wall plug on and press the NVR switch on the extractor in the morning (which means the safety feature is fully operational), but then it doesnt start untill I switch either of the remote switches. That way whatever end of the machines I am I can turn it on or off.
At the end of the day I turn the machine off at the wall.

This is NOT to be recommended for commercial premises :shock: but as long as its for home use and you have labelled ALL of the wires on the remote circuit as live, its safe and efficient. 8)

Overnight I have remembered more of the last time I was involved in this topic. :roll: :roll:
My system will only work on a single phase machine.
If its a 13 amp plug it works fine.
If its on a 20 amp plug then stronger switches are needed.
If its a 3 phase machine, then ignore my system completely. I think it was myforman who has that info.
8)

Back