Remote control for extractors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hello all

I have a dist extractor and a chip extractor. But turning then on and off at the wall is proving a lot of effort these days.

I know some folks have a remote setup for this application. The dust extractor hasn't got an NVR switch so I'm assuming it's easier to go for a smart switch or something, but what's the deal with the chip extractor with the NVR?

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

Take the NVR off ?
I never saw any point in them on a dust extractor.
So you have a power interruption, a fan restarts of it's own accord. It's not like a cutter, there's minimal (any ?) risk of harm.

My first cheap elektra beckum chip collector just had a rocker switch fitted in the lid of the motor terminal box so EB didn't think so either.

Same can almost be said for e.g. small sanders. The pro edge doesn't have a NVR.

If the loads aren't bigger than 10A then you could use these https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/hh...5026&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!426684131198!!!network}!1871616808232!&gclid=Cj0KCQiAm4WsBhCiARIsAEJIEzUVWvh966Ix_MiVEnXfYHdP4-DlztYG6XJjIB-N9SbULwTjfkeffKUaAk9HEALw_wcB which also have the benefit of remaining off if the power is cut (if you remove/bypass the NVR from the machine) and you can also move them to other machines/electrics if you ever want to e.g. christmas lights.

I actually ordered these on Amazon. I wanted to try if these would work.

Deal: DEWENWILS Remote Control Plug Socket, 13A/3120W Heavy Duty Wireless Light Switch, 30m/100ft Long Range, Programmable for Bedroom, Garbage, 3 Pack Sockets and 1 Remote https://amzn.eu/d/hubpicm

I actually ordered these on Amazon. I wanted to try if these would work.

Deal: DEWENWILS Remote Control Plug Socket, 13A/3120W Heavy Duty Wireless Light Switch, 30m/100ft Long Range, Programmable for Bedroom, Garbage, 3 Pack Sockets and 1 Remote https://amzn.eu/d/hubpicm
I’ve been using these for the past 18 months and they work a treat! Just try not to misplace the remote control like I did with my first set 😉

How about this one...? Would it suit your needs...?

https://toughleads.co.uk/products/standalone-dust-extractor-remote-control-230v-13a-and-16a
I bookmarked this a couple of months ago, but still haven't got around to ordering one yet.....It seems like it fits the bill though!
Good find.
I can do a contactor and box myself to save a few bob but I've been looking for a mains powered radio module with a robust remote and they list those under their DOL starter add on kits.
The toughleads stuff is properly up to switching induction motors, not just vacuum cleaners.

The toughleads stuff is properly up to switching induction motors, not just vacuum cleaners.

Yes, ....A few years back, I bought one of those triple packs, similar to what Woodwoodpecka and bp122 have linked to......They all went pop in a very short space of time.

I read the Info & specifications on the Toughleads site and It seems to tick the right boxes with regards to the heavier loads and inductive loads.....Seems to be well thought through and specifically mentions dust extraction systems, rather than just being capable of turning on lower powered items, such as Xmas tree lights.....

So you have a power interruption, a fan restarts of it's own accord. It's not like a cutter, there's minimal (any ?) risk of harm.
In a home workshop enviroment you are in control of everything, a machine stops then turn it off before walking away to find out why. The DOL starter which is a NVR switch was designed for industry where there are many machines and people so in this situation you do not want a machine starting up because a maintenance electrician has reset an MCB at the other end of the building. We now find them on everything because we are trying to protect people from themselves, in many situations they are just a pita and people seem to be less disciplined so cannot be relied on to turn tools and machines off.

If you want a remote then look at these

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBIP663G.html

I’ve been using these for the past 18 months and they work a treat! Just try not to misplace the remote control like I did with my first set 😉
Ditto - been using for about 3 years with plugs: 1) Record dust/chip extractor 2) Small fan heater 3) Radio - preset to the channel I want to hear

Simple, cheap - it just works.

I also have been using the denwils for about 18 months with no issues on an axmister 750 extractor. Couple of points to consider:
1. It is limited to five remotes, if youtry to pair a sixth it bumps the first one off.
2. I also fitted a timer socket before the extractor. So when I use the extractor the first time in any given session I press the timer button to acivate the system, it then stays active for 3 hours and then auto switches off. This is because some people reported these sockets switching themselves on in the dead of night or whenever due to a ghost signal, causing the extractor to then run cotinuously. The timer stops this being able to happen.

I have been using the Dewenwils remote switches on my extractors for a few years now and they have worked well.

You can buy a wall mount switch for them which is really handy, saves looking for the remote every time. I have one mounted next to my saw, I just press it and the two extractors attached to my saw turn on or off.

Amazon.co.uk

I unplug everything whenever I leave the workshop, I'm always amazed that some people leave things plugged in and turned on.......

Could Amazon Alexa help and allow you to give the command "Alexa turn on (off) dust extractor".
I believe by connecting the extractor to a smart plug such a command may work.

I pose this possible solutions as when my time permits I am playing around with Alexa in my home workshop.
The reason for Alexa in my WShop is to allow my wife to call for my help if she needs to do so.

Vacuum cleaner type, yes. Bag type with induction motors, not reliably.
Simply because the smart switches that work with Alexa are designed for resistive loads which include shop vacs and heaters, but not induction motors that have a 5x full current inrush when starting and create a spark at the relay contacts when switching off. These wear out small relays much faster than their design lifespan.

A smart switch can be connected to a big relay (contactor) for switching all sorts of heavy loads if you understand what you are doing.

Could Amazon Alexa help and allow you to give the command "Alexa turn on (off) dust extractor".
I believe by connecting the extractor to a smart plug such a command may work.

I pose this possible solutions as when my time permits I am playing around with Alexa in my home workshop.
The reason for Alexa in my WShop is to allow my wife to call for my help if she needs to do so.
I have a Google home mini setup in mine for connecting via Bluetooth to listen to music. And for the wife to send audio messages from the house when she needs me.

I think if prefer a physical button to turn on and off rather than voice commands. Voice commands have been around in some capacity for about a decade and a half now and still it is really unreliable.

I have been using the Dewenwils remote switches on my extractors for a few years now and they have worked well.

You can buy a wall mount switch for them which is really handy, saves looking for the remote every time. I have one mounted next to my saw, I just press it and the two extractors attached to my saw turn on or off.

Amazon.co.uk

I unplug everything whenever I leave the workshop, I'm always amazed that some people leave things plugged in and turned on.......
I can see why this could be useful, but my workshop has tools scattered around a bit, so I think I prefer a solution which I can carry on me.

Maybe a good habit to get into would be for me to hang the remote on the door so I can pick up /leave the remote from the same place every time.

If you fancy a bit of Heath Robinson type DIY, here's what I made for my own system about 25 years ago. Recently upgraded with braided steel wire (the old string kept breaking) You pull a green ring to start, and a red to stop. There's a pair of rings by every machine. In the background of the second photo you can see a pair of the bell cranks that allow it to go round corners.The standard starter for the extract is inside the MDF box and is worked by pulling on the cables. It's very robust, involves no electrical work, and you can add a new machine in 10 minutes.

Attachments

• Extract 1.jpg
    Extract 1.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Extract 2.jpg
    Extract 2.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 0
Vacuum cleaner type, yes. Bag type with induction motors, not reliably.
Simply because the smart switches that work with Alexa are designed for resistive loads which include shop vacs and heaters, but not induction motors that have a 5x full current inrush when starting and create a spark at the relay contacts when switching off. These wear out small relays much faster than their design lifespan.

A smart switch can be connected to a big relay (contactor) for switching all sorts of heavy loads if you understand what you are doing.
Sideways, thank you...do I understand that Alexa could control the heavy load extractor with a smart switch BUT only if you know what you are doing??

Sideways, thank you...do I understand that Alexa could control the heavy load extractor with a smart switch BUT only if you know what you are doing??
You would need knowledge of electrics to wire together a smart switch inside an enclosure with an electrical contactor. Together this module would give you voice control of your big dust extractor.
With the proviso of "would the alexa smart speaker be able to hear you over the noise of the running extractor in order to turn it off ?"

Back