Dust extractor NVR switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek.gibb

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently purchased a dust extractor for my workshop from Rutlands (Wall-Mount Fine Filter Dust Collector) and so far I am happy with it. It has a NVR switch, which is a nice feature however where I have mounted it makes it tricky to get to (a combination of it being in the corner of the workshop at me being short!). I wondered if anyone here has a smart solution for me? Ideally I would hook it up to some sort of remote system, but I would settle for just extending the switch somehow.

Thanks in advance!

I moved my NVR switch on my similar dust extractor from the machine where it was mounted originally, as the machine is in a cabinet but I wanted the switch to be accessible outside the cabinet.

What I did is remove the NVR switch from where it's mounted on the extractor. I replaced the exposed hole where the NVR was mounted with a junction box which is bolted through the same holes. I then put some Wagos on the motor wires and attached some flex cable which I took out of the junction box and ran outside the cabinet to where I wanted to mount the NVR, then wired the NVR in to the other end of the flex at its new location. I can send some photos on Monday.

Last edited:
I moved my NVR switch on my similar dust extractor from the machine where it was mounted originally, as the machine is in a cabinet but I wanted the switch to be accessible outside the cabinet.

What I did is remove the NVR switch from where it's mounted on the extractor. I replaced the exposed hole where the NVR was mounted with a junction box which is bolted through the same holes. I then put some Wagos on the motor wires and attached some flex cable which I took out of the junction box and ran outside the cabinet to where I wanted to mount the NVR, then wired the NVR in to the other end of the flex at its new location. I can send some photos on Monday.
Thanks for the info. It is a pain as I hadn’t really considered this problem when buying the machine. Thanks!

A good thing is to put in a relay so the extractor comes on automatically when you switch machine on or does it do that already?
Trouble with this is that it cannot work with a NVR switch. I did debate doing this (unlike my chip extractor like being discussed here, my dust extractor is set up this way), however I was concerned that the chip extractor (which uses an induction motor = high starting current), is most often used alongside my P/T which has an even bigger induction motor. It didn't seem neccesary for me to have them start simultaneously, which would draw quite a lot of current from both the motors together at the same time. I mounted the NVR switch for the extractor next to the one for the P/T (can be seen in the photos here, so I just start them up one after the other. It's also handy for the extractor to be on for 10 seconds or so after the P/T has finished.

For my (separate) dust extractor - which serves tools like sanders, domino, router and the chop-saw, I do have it set up to automatically come on as described here.

Thanks for the info. It is a pain as I hadn’t really considered this problem when buying the machine. Thanks!
It really wasn't a faff at all, took maybe 15 minutes including running the cable. I used one of these (£2.50), and a 2 metre length of flex.

Do away with the NVR switch, it really is not needed on an extractor in a home workshop. Think of the main reason these NVR switches are used, loss of power and the machine drops out and cannot come back on when the power is restored so for an extractor in a home workshop if it does come back on what are the hazzards. They do have a limited use in a domestic home workshop under the control of one person and for me even the tablesaw which I consider the most dangerous machine I own has an NVR but when not in use it is unplugged. If the power did drop out during use then once it became stationary it would be unplugged immediately so I know without any doubt it is in a safe known condition and I can then evaluate the issue with loss of power. It comes back to the safety mindset, always leave any tool or machine in a safe state, ie turned off so as if it is plugged in for example it cannot start like say a router or grinder.

Derek, i simply bypassed the NVR on my extractor, so its permanantly on when plugged in. Then simply put one of those cheap romote on/off sockets you can get in any shop/amazon. The remote is left by the table saw and next to the P/T. So switching on/off is now so easy. I left all the connectors such that it can be put back to NVR is seconds. i left instruction on back of cover plate in case its not me that needs to do it. its been like this for years.

I bypassed the NVR on my dust extractor so it is always on when switched on and initially had it plugged in to a smart plug socket that I intended to activate by telling "Alexa, will you start the fans puleeeeeze" however while the Alexa end worked it turns out the little smart socket couldn't handle the load asked of it and my comedy command simply resulted in the shed going dark :) (fairly big Axminster extractor I got cheap).

I ended up buying a remote socket with 2 x large paddle type battery switches for around £13. One is now on the workbench and one next to the bandsaw and both within a handy press anywhere in my small shed.

I used one of these for the higher load. DEWENWILS Remote Control Plug Sockets, 13A/3120W Heavy Duty Remote Control Light Switch, 30m Long Range, Programmable, CE and RoHS Listed, 1 Sockets and 2 Wireless Wall Switch : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Thanks for all of the feedback/advice. I am away for a while now, but will give it a go when I get back and post the results!

Back