remote control for dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have a Axminster 2 HP dust extractor that I have made a 2 stage by adding a super dust deputy.
I am trying to find a reliable remote control for this, something that can handle the start up draw with out going bang.
Any help would be gratefully received.
Doug.

I just setup an Amazon Echo dot (Alexa) in the garage with a remote control plug for my extractor which is outside the workshop. No more reaching under the workbench for the switch. Instead I say "Alexa, turn on the extractor" and it just starts up. No remote control to lose and total cost including the Echo dot about £50. I also use the Echo dot with additions & subtractions and for listening to the radio.

I use a remote switched socket on my Jet extractor, the switches on the front of the extractor look like nvr switches but they are not so it works fine. Mine were rated at over 3000 watt and have always been reliable. Not so useful now of course, but mine came from Maplins (hammer)

Peterm1000":1a56c7yw said:
I just setup an Amazon Echo dot (Alexa) in the garage with a remote control plug for my extractor which is outside the workshop. No more reaching under the workbench for the switch. Instead I say "Alexa, turn on the extractor" and it just starts up. No remote control to lose and total cost including the Echo dot about £50. I also use the Echo dot with additions & subtractions and for listening to the radio.
That sounds like an excellent way of doing it. How does that work with an NVR?

stuartpaul":1ppdh51f said:
Peterm1000":1ppdh51f said:
That sounds like an excellent way of doing it. How does that work with an NVR?

I was wondering the same thing...?

I think you'd have to find a way to jam the switch on or bypass it. I have something a little similar on my router in the router table - I used a cable tie. I would think every remote switch would cause the same problem.

That Echo thing sounds scary. Does Alexa also hear you above the noise when you want to turn it off?

Mine is the Maplin version. Easy and cheap. I have hung the zapper on a bungee from the ceiling above my P/T. I can unclip it if I am using my DX with my sander.

It works for me.

Yes - because the extractor is in a shed outside the workshop and so the only noise is the radio playing (also via the Echo Dot). You do have to raise your voice a bit and speak clearly, but I have never had an issue being heard or understood. Unless you are running a jet engine in the room with you, I don't think you are going to have an issue being heard.

We have the same kind of thing running a load of table lamps in our house (LightwaveRF is the one we use) but I think the google home / Amazon Alexa technology has superseded them. The smart plugs are cheaper (at less than £10 each) and apart from not needing a separate switch you can do so much more with them like set them up on timers and switch them on and off away from home. I guess you have to get comfortable with having Amazon listening to what you are saying in the garage. For me at least, that's not going to be the most exciting listen so I don't really care!

Latest posts

Back