Remnant(pierced bowl)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Got an afternoon off Wednesday,the family were out so I got some time 8) I went off to the shed and produced another skeleton pierced turning.
In the death of a star it sheds off the outer layers of itself in a supernova creating a nebula of filaments of gas and dust, in this case leaving a dark remnant behind.
This started off as a 10" x 2" Ash blank, it was turned to a 2mm round bottomed bowl weighing 88 grams,after piercing it weighed just 28 grams. Finally after painting and lacquering it was back at a weighty 31.4 grams(not much for a 10" diameter!)
remnantsmall008.jpg

remnantsmall009.jpg

Comments and critiques welcomed.

You've really got the piercing bug johnny, and the affliction suits you by the look of the quality that's coming out of the shop.
Your work rate is not to be sniffed at either if that's the result of one day in the shop.
I can see more flaming bowls and dishes on the horizon as you develop the theme.
The control of the colour blend is in keeping with the quality of the post turning work.

'ere Johnny, 'ow dew stop stuff fallin' out?

I'm with Chas and am longing to see where this leads.

I have all this Robinia that turns REALLY thin.... AND I've now got a Dremel........ AND some nice Chestnut spirit stain....... wonder wot I can do wiv it all.

Elaine, thankyou :)

CHJ":29w57m3y said:
Your work rate is not to be sniffed at either if that's the result of one day in the shop.

Chas,we have a new baby girl(born on the 8th march) and my 19 month old son to 'entertain', so if not at work I have to give my poor tired wife a break whenever I can!!! So when a chance of getting out to 'play' presents itself theres no time to mess around!! :lol:

gus3049":29w57m3y said:
I have all this Robinia that turns REALLY thin.... AND I've now got a Dremel........ AND some nice Chestnut spirit stain....... wonder wot I can do wiv it all.

Simple answer....Have fun!!!
Just remember that spirit stain needs a really good finish, any tear out,sanding or tool marks will stand out like the proverbial 'sore thumb' (not saying your work has these :oops: :lol: )

Simple answer....Have fun!!!
Just remember that spirit stain needs a really good finish, any tear out,sanding or tool marks will stand out like the proverbial 'sore thumb' (not saying your work has these :oops: :lol:

You've been looking!!

lovely piece (again)

what sort of strength does this have - in the context of practical uses?

not suggesting it can't stand on it's own as 'art', more about what would happen if someone chose to put a few oranges in it!

Thanks again Phil and Dieseldog :D

jumps":1zku881v said:
lovely piece (again)

what sort of strength does this have - in the context of practical uses?

not suggesting it can't stand on it's own as 'art', more about what would happen if someone chose to put a few oranges in it!

Its not strong but not so weak you can't handle it, I don't think a few oranges would harm it but having taken a lot of effort to produce, I would be a bit disapointed if it were used as a fruit bowl!!!! If you wanted to take the style and make a fruit bowl using it then it would just be a case of making it say 3 or 4mm thick and just thinking a bit about the shapes cut out to make sure its not got any excessively weak points.

Hi Johnny,
Absolutely love it, any chance of a WIP to show all the aspects of creating a piece like this, would love to have a go but wouldn't know where to start,what attachment do you use with the dremel and how do you apply the acrylics, cheers Rob.

Latest posts

Back