Bowling Ball Mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berncarpenter

Established Member
Reaction score
At last Sundays Car boot i picked up an old bowling ball for the pricey some of £3 . After searching the forums and you tube for inspiration i decided on a traditional design not that far from the one Rod has made. Had some rather nice ash left over from a job i did in 2010 . Got it from a country estate not far from Cowbridge , it was green then and has been drying out in the workshop .

DSC_0422_zpseff34681.jpg

Put it through the band saw to create a flat surface to make holding and drilling the 1'' hole easier.

DSC_0425_zps7a521a22.jpg

Clamped down and drilled with a spade bit which went well

DSC_0426_zpsdefa6ed8.jpg

DSC_0427_zpse6b2d578.jpg

DSC_0428_zpsfd592324.jpg

Had a bit of pitch pine that was already turned , so used this to bung the holes up for mounting on the lathe
DSC_0429_zpsadc3c0a7.jpg

Not quite centred and a little bit lumpy to start with
DSC_0430_zpsfdeb9a79.jpg

But it soon calmed down and the shavings were pilling off, there is a hand under there
DSC_0434_zps01543169.jpg

Burnished and waxed
DSC_0436_zpsa95e3aec.jpg

Ash for the handle ,this spent some time in the hay barn on the estate after being felled and you can still smell the hay its beautiful stuff .
DSC_0440_zpsc1d155b3.jpg

DSC_0441_zps75ea7a12.jpg

DSC_0443_zpse375590d.jpg

Burnished and waxed with some renaissance Stuff that my dad gave me.
DSC_0445_zps24784b3f.jpg

Used pu glue and and a little more of the ebony piano keys for the wedge
DSC_0446_zpsfa3acdb5.jpg

Cleaned up with a block plane and cabinet scraper
DSC_0447_zps1c34cc66.jpg

There are a couple of star shakes radiating from two knots and i hope these wont get any worse in use
DSC_0448_zpseba2b837.jpg

DSC_0450_zps6b3ea35e.jpg

DSC_0451_zps805e1ac6.jpg

I am pleased how it turned out and not bad for a £3 investment

Cheers Bern :D

I can't believe what you did to a perfectly good bowling ball :wink:

were the splits in it right from the start?

I am amazed you got it for £3. Haven't seen them that cheap for years. Got a really good mallet for next to nothing there.

Pete

n0legs":11y15wcw said:
That's really cool. Good work Bern =D>

Thanks glad you like it

nathandavies":11y15wcw said:
I can't believe what you did to a perfectly good bowling ball :wink:

were the splits in it right from the start?

Oh no here we go again , i havent recovered from the chisel sager yet still having nightmares #-o

discovered the shakes as soon as i sliced it open on the band saw , too late to work around them so i hope they will be kind to me and not get any worse , only time will tell .
Bodrighy":11y15wcw said:
I am amazed you got it for £3. Haven't seen them that cheap for years. Got a really good mallet for next to nothing there.

Pete

Thanks Pete
Got it from a house clearance guy at Camarthen car boot ,did try for £2 but he wouldnt let it go for that .

Bern

I have one made for me by Jimi43 about three years ago. It came with a few shakes which have not changed shape at all.

Have a look here in an old thread.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/mini-review-kt-tools-carvers-mallet-t53570.html?hilit= mallet

It is a real pleasure to use but I find myself not whacking things with it, I use it for more gentle tasks.

Yours is really nice. The shape of the handle is quite important, your one looks like a comfortable fit but you must have large hands or the perspective is fooling me?

Well done.

Mick

Dalboy":2kmskgny said:
I like it and a very useful piece of kit for the workshop I also made one from a bowling ball and have used it for my carving
Thanks Derek
Very impressed with your work just got lost looking through the photo bucket

Grahamshed":2kmskgny said:
Great use for an old unwanted ball :) Looks gorgeous.

Thanks Graham

MickCheese":2kmskgny said:
Bern

I have one made for me by Jimi43 about three years ago. It came with a few shakes which have not changed shape at all.

Have a look here in an old thread.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/mini-review-kt-tools-carvers-mallet-t53570.html?hilit= mallet

It is a real pleasure to use but I find myself not whacking things with it, I use it for more gentle tasks.

Yours is really nice. The shape of the handle is quite important, your one looks like a comfortable fit but you must have large hands or the perspective is fooling me?

Well done.

Mick

Thanks Mick

Just had a look at yours on that old thread , what a beauty . Mine is a little heavier at 500g and i only have little hands so it must be the perspective making it look out. Glad to here that the shakes shouldn't be a problem ,i wont be whacking it too much going to use it for large dovetails mainly.

Bern,
That looks lovely and thank you for including a series of WIP pictures for the newbies amongst our number.
I've got another excuse to go to the next boot fair now :wink:
If SWMBO complains I'll just blame you
Cheers
Greg

Our local second hand shop has several. but clearly knows the value as he charges £8 each for them. :(

Phil

gregmcateer":31o6r6rr said:
Bern,
That looks lovely and thank you for including a series of WIP pictures for the newbies amongst our number.
I've got another excuse to go to the next boot fair now :wink:
If SWMBO complains I'll just blame you
Cheers
Greg

Thanks Greg
I am a bit of a newbe myself when it comes to turning , this is the first mallet i have turned . Bought a cheap old Wadkin for £175 a couple of years ago and just had a go at it . Took me quite a while to get to stop things flying off with dig ins but seem to have got past that stage now.Love the car boot sales and was at one his morning but no luck today came home empty handed.

Berncarpenter":1p6ep68g said:
Sheptonphil":1p6ep68g said:
Our local second hand shop has several. but clearly knows the value as he charges £8 each for them. :(

Phil
At £8 still worth getting them Phill

After seeing what you have created, you have inspired me. I think I will pop in and pick up a couple, not matched and see if I can get a deal. I was also wanting to try a gavel as well. Will post when I've had a go.

Phil

Very nicely made, lignum is so hard id have thought youd need to give it a serious bashing to make those shakes any worse !

Back