Record? Table Saw buying advice needed...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-Mr-DIY

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to internet forums, so please bear with me. I have been into working with wood since I can remember, and now that I am finally retired I am looking to get serriously involved. I have had a work shop built which is approx 20ft by 10ft and now I wish it was bigger to accomodate all the kit I would love to buy!

Anyway enough about me and on with my question...

I have been looking for a very good table saw for a while now and went as far to buy an Axminster TS200, 2 of these machines later and decided it was not the right thing for me. Problems with the build quality put me off, the blade was not parralell to the sliding table or the mitre fence, plus several other minor faults which I could not live with. I have to say that the Axminster staff were professional, polite and very understanding their customer service was excellent. Shame about the saw!

I have since been checking ebay every day for a second hand bargain. I have looked at the Kity 419, SIP and Scheppach makes.

What I am looking for is approx £800 spend and would ideally be a 10inch (254mm) blade. I am now thinking that the Record TS200C would be my best option? Do you all agree? I would value your oppinions, experiences and guidance on how to best spend my money...

Looking forward to hearing from you all soon (with fingers crossed)!
:)

Welcome.

Well I take it you've seen my troubles with the Axi TS200:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/fett ... 38719.html

I completely agree with you about build quality and the only reason I'm spending so much time on it is that I bought it 2nd hand and I'd really like to have a small saw, of which there aren't many available.

You say you've been looking at a Kity 419 but the design is almost identical to the Axi TS200. The build quality it self may be a tad higher, but essentially it's the same machine.

If that's the little sheppach you are talking about then it's got poor reviews on here of late. It is another machine that needs some fettling to get running right.

You may want to look at the SIP 01332 or the Fox equivalent.

oops I forgot to mention the Record TS200C We have one member here who owns and highly regards that saw. Personally I'm not convinced, I certainly don't think it's worth the money. But if you use the search function, you will find his thorough review.

I, and others, use the SIP, they do need setting up straight from the box, but once done I have no desire to change mine.
They are Cast Iron, very solid, easily cleaned but not too brilliant on dust extraction as standard.

Roy.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Do you plan to use your saw for cross-cutting as well? Will you be working with sheet materials or mostly solid timber?

Record's TS200 looks like a decent rip saw to me. Though, for what it is, I've always thought it looks overpriced. Cross-cutting capacities are very limited without a proper sliding table (as you get on the smaller TS200 saws and the Kity 419).

There is the Jet JTS-600, where the build quality looks very similar to the Record Power model and it does have a proper sliding table for cross-cutting... It is above your budget though and I'm not aware of any owners on this forum.

In the past, a few members have grown fond of the Metabo PK200 (formerly Elektra Beckum). They do a 'saw only' version, here; both are within your budget.

EDIT - sorry, the Metabo only has a 210mm diameter blade with 65m maximum depth of cut. Don't know why Record gave their saw the '200' name, when the saw actually has a 250mm diameter blade! :D

How often would you need to cut stock over 2in. thick? If it's only very occasionally, you might be better of using a bandsaw for anything 3in. plus and you could save a bit on your table saw. :wink:

oh I'm not sure about the Jet JTS-600. I don't think I'd ever consider it all the time the SIP 01332 was on the market.

I must say I've never seriously looked into the Metabo PK200, so I can't comment on that. Does it have 'standard' slots?

No idea. I think it's the one Niki uses (albeit with the Elektra Beckum badge)?

Look at the cost of all the extras, you really would be much better off (financially) buying the full package in one go, if you did go for it!! :shock: You could build a Maskery-style oufeed table for less and you may not want a sliding table. But still, the cost of the width extension is a bit of a killer...

To me, this one doesn't look a million miles away from the Record either (...maybe it's just me! :D). Actually, Ben Plewes (who owns the Record TS200) once told me he didn't like the look of that Jet saw either.

I have the SIP but in a 12" version and can't fault it. I do not have the sliding table but use the two extension tables. It is a solidly built machine and is pretty accurate too. A little bit of fettling out of the box but this is par for the course with most table saws. HTH. :wink:

mailee":1ho2x1l5 said:
I have the SIP but in a 12" version and can't fault it. I do not have the sliding table but use the two extension tables. It is a solidly built machine and is pretty accurate too. A little bit of fettling out of the box but this is par for the course with most table saws. HTH. :wink:

I have the same 12" SIP as Mailee and I would recommend it or the smaller 10" version (01332) to anyone. For the money they are excellent buys.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks to everyone for their quick response / advise and links. I will enjoy further investigation as suggested :D
To me the forum is very benificial. If there are futher comments that may lead me in the right direction I welcome them.
Mike (Mr-diy-man)

When I was looking to replace my triton setup for a table saw I narrowed it down to the record or the SIP. I was able to compare the two side by side at a shop in Mitcheldean called Toolite.

The SIP won hands down and has been in my workshop for a few years. It is not noisy and has done everything I have needed, dust extraction is not the best but the rest is solid and has a good fence. Mine came with an additional short bolt on fence which is brilliant for sheet or delicate cuts.

Les

Hi Les.
SIP have good reviews that I have read todate :D Is yours the 1332 Also, is it with or without the sliding table? Are there any negatives other than the dust extraction?

Mike

Mike
Mine is the 01332 10", I do not have the sliding table as space was a problem. I made up a sledge for cross cutting but I also have a Makita 12" sliding cross cut.

There has been no problems at all with the SIP and it runs happily off a 13amp plug.

Les

Les.

I also do not want to buy the sliding table because of space. What max width of material can be cut on your sledge?

If you were in a position to buy a new saw today, would you purchase the 10" SIP or an alternative saw? budget of approx £800

I want to make toys for my granchildren and general projects that come my way in the future.
Mike.

Mike-Mr-DIY":2aq2widi said:
Les.

What max width of material can be cut on your sledge?

If you were in a position to buy a new saw today, would you purchase the 10" SIP or an alternative saw? budget of approx £800

I want to make toys for my granchildren and general projects that come my way in the future.
Mike.

any ideas on the above? anyone?

When you say width? Do you mean length? A sled can be made very big to accommodate long boards. But they are generally as big as the main table surface. This means that the max width of a board will be the depth of the table (front to back) minus the front and back fences. So for the SIP 01332 10" it'd be about 650-700mm. In terms of length it depends on where on the board you are cross-cutting and makes it harder to give a figure. But the table length with the extension is 1170mm. The thickness of stock that you can cut with a sled depends on the thickness of material you use for the sled's base. Without a sled you can cut 100mm deep. If you use 12mm for your sled bas, you get 88mm To be sure I'd work on a figure of 85mm depth of cut.

All the dimensions for the SIP 01332 10" can be found here.

Does this answer your questions?

I wrote the review of the Record TS200 mentioned by Paul and I am still very happy with it, but I have not managed to improve the dust extraction yet, this is still a minor weakness.

Martin.

wizer":1lfk5iuu said:
All the dimensions for the SIP 01332 10" can be found here.

Does this answer your questions?
...and I hope and assume your floor is man enough for the weight. Mine isn't :( but I've decided that I don't like Murricano styled tablesaurs with the twin grooves in the table. I'd rather go for a good slider, hence the JTS 600 is probably the one for me - Rob

Back