Record? Table Saw buying advice needed...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rob

I did hear a rumour that Jet were reducing ther prices after Xmas, but it never happened? I've since heard it's happening in April?

It was also mentioned that the build quality is not what it used to be? that might ring true, with some of the recent issues with the Jet PT 260's ?

I was ripping 2" white oak today on the Record, I had a wry grin doing it, it really is superb, after 8 years with a little brush motor ally table saw, I feel relly good when I use it now.

As a footnote, I'm looking at the dust extraction on it now, it is a fault, but easily done.

Out of interest, what's the best price you've seen the Jet at ?

Cheers

Jed

jedmc571":2gtkz9fn said:
Out of interest, what's the best price you've seen the Jet at ?

Cheers

Jed
Depends where you go, who you speak to and what other kit you buy at the same time :wink: The Record though is the other contender if the Jet is not up to par. The Jet is 'trade' rated in the Ax catalogue, which is always a positive sign that the build quality is good. 'Industrial' is best, but there aren't too many saws around in that price bracket (say up to £1K) - Rob

You can do well buying second hand, and I've got good value buying machinery this way. Ebay is worth keeping an eye on, though you need to keep your wits about you and watch out for 3 phase (unless you have a 3 phase supply). There is currently http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RECORD-POWER-TSPP ... 0413546813 which may be of interest, though whether you want a trip to collect it in Sussex is another matter. This sort of thing is heavy and you need help in moving it and probably (hire) a small van with a tail lift. My 10" Wadkin weighs in at about 250KG and can be dragged or tilted with a bit of effort.

Misterfish

I have recently bought one off these tspp250 saws off Norman on this forum and travelled from brum to herns bay to get it but tell you what lads was well worth the drive.
I have had a couple off saws over the last two years i have had a Dewalt :cry: then i bought a ryobi both imo a waste off money and time.
Where i work there is a joinery factory and i get on well with the lads who run the place so i thought lets get some advice off them few recommendations wadkins , sedgewick and the recordand make sure it has cast iron tables etc the first two were out off my price range so i done a bit off research on the record and also the sip after reading reviews on this and other forums on these saws i ended up getting the record and i have to say i am very very impressed with it even after seeing the joinery lads using there big scm.

Yep,

"Ignore the instructions they're pants" ( advice from Record tech support, who btw are fantastic )

It's a great saw, much better than I anticipated, Martin Chapman did a good review a while back, and I bought mine after looking at them all :roll:

It takes a bit of messing, but I expect that with machinery, the scale was slightly off, but a bit of filing was all that was required.
The Table is fitted with 4 hex bolts in each corner, and it makes adjustment to the blade really easy.

The hardest bit is setting up the sliding carriage, but their's some good cheats to make it easy, they were published in British WW as well.

I guess it depends what you want it for? I work from a garage, and it's footprint is perfect, as are it's cuts, as proved last week when cutting 100 year old 2" Oak :wink:

Any more info let me know.

Cheers

Jed

:lol:

It's only elongating 4 holes, I did it after I finished my nails :wink:

Get it bought :D

Cheers

Jed

Mike-Mr-DIY":3qc3agtm said:
Les.

I also do not want to buy the sliding table because of space. What max width of material can be cut on your sledge?

If you were in a position to buy a new saw today, would you purchase the 10" SIP or an alternative saw? budget of approx £800

I want to make toys for my granchildren and general projects that come my way in the future.
Mike.

I got the SIP for £700 with Sliding Table New, but a similar saw could be had for the same second hand. I can't see me ever upgrading it, except maybe for a SawStop if they ever made it over to the UK. Fantastic saw, a huge amount of metal for your money. The sliding table can get in the way for ripping and walking around the saw but its so useful for cross cuts with the built in stop and clamp that it outweighs the annoyance factor. It has a little handle that you pull and the sliding carrige will come right off the rail and can be put aside, it takes about 5 seconds to get off and about 10 to get back on so its really very quick and handy. The massive area you get to the left of the blade with both extension tables set up that way is fantastic, if I didn't have the sliding table I'd buy another wing just to I could still have the extra width.

Previous to my posts here, I'd asked Record about the RK and whether it could be lowered.

They've replied saying that it can't as it would be illegal to sell it with such an ability!

Hello all,

I also bought a brand new Record TSPP250 table saw, not with sliding carriage, but with the two cast table extensions, the one where the motor pulls forward on rails.
Within the first year of ownership I managed to propel a two foot square of contiboard from the blade, point first into my solar plexus!!!

Needless to say since the wound healed and for the last four years the saw has not turned a blade in anger. I now only use it as an assembly table, and stand for my chop saw.

I have been thinking of selling it for some time now and putting the money towards a better bandsaw, I currently have a scheppach besato 3, but would love a hammer n4400. I do use the bandsaw almost as much as my lathe. The table saw will not be used ever again by me!

If anyone out there is interested in buying the saw let me know, it will come with a wheel kit, I will have to find out the cost of carriage, I am in West Yorkshire.

GT

Back